• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do the players get to know what number they got hit with?

Blackbrrd

First Post
I am not going to say what AC/defense I hit, but I might say something like: "that was an inch from your head" or "you get hit right between the eyes". That is for a rolled 19 and 20.

A wizard should be able to hang far enough back not to get hit a lot, so you should probably use shield on any monster hitting you, or just ignore the hit if it was from a minion...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I roll in the open, and ask "does a 29 hit?"

In 3.5e, this led to situations where the players knew that a particular monster had just hit one of them on a 2. IMHO, it's better the PCs get this kind of meta-information early in a fight rather than after they're all dead.

Cheers, -- N

Aenghus

Explorer
Turning the issue about, the DM is aware of what the players roll, and hence can use monster interrupt powers akin to shield that could turn a hit into a miss very effectively.

I wouldn't be totally open about what the monsters are rolling myself as a DM, but would try and give feedback re easy hits, near hits, near misses and bad misses. This makes PC powers like shield feel more useful.

Lurker37

Explorer
THE DMG goes into the pros and cons of the DM rolling in the open vs behind a DM screen.

However, given thatthere are daily interrupt powers that increase a defense vs the last attack by X, I think the players should be told the attack total, even if they do not know what their attacker rolled to get it. Otherwise those powers would be severely reduced in their usefulness.

shadowguidex

First Post
Characters should be aware how closely they came to being hit, or how closely they came to avoiding the attack. When you drive your car and almost hit another car, you know it.

I think hiding the numbers from players isn't very constructive or make much sense. The podcast DM annoyed me by constantly asking player's armor class, but never revealing his monsters AC. DMs that keep information secret too much tend to be the killer DMs, and the fudger DMs (who cant balance encounters properly so they have to constantly fudge die rolls), in my personal experiences.

dcyale

First Post
This topic came up while I was running Moathouse at Origins. The player had not realized that everytime a roll was close I aked "does a xx hit?," but when the roll was way over I would say "it hits." I did not tell her.

After reading these posts I might modify my system a bit, and if the roll is way over or under let the player know, but if it is just over or under the amount they can modify on the attack roll I'll let them know it's close. That way there's a possibility they may "waste" it, but only in a situation where a character might be mistaken. If the character would be certain it would help the player would know, and if the charater were certain it would be a hit anyway the player will know.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The podcast DM annoyed me by constantly asking player's armor class, but never revealing his monsters AC. DMs that keep information secret too much tend to be the killer DMs, and the fudger DMs (who cant balance encounters properly so they have to constantly fudge die rolls), in my personal experiences.
I tend to reveal monster ACs opportunistically.

When a PC exactly hits the monster's AC (or defense), or misses by exactly 1, I announce the exact AC (or defense).

This tends to take 2-3 rounds.

If the PCs have fought these specific critters before, each can remember a specific defense (or all resistances) with a Minor action Knowledge check.

Cheers, -- N

BR

First Post
The DM on 75% rolls should ask for defense number for the target. if is way high or way low no need to ask) Otherwise the PC should stop telling the DM what they rolled and just tell them they "hit.

bardolph

First Post
Our GM doesn't tell the number (unless he's asking for your AC). I stopped memorizing Shield because of that. Expeditious Retreat (my other Utility 2) gives gauranteed results every time. Doesn't necessarily make it a better power, but it's more palatable to me that way just because I prefer certainty when deciding whether to take an action.
Your GM is trying to hose you.

Remove ads