do undead heal when they rest?

thorian

Explorer
If I have a wight character (from Savage Species), would he regain HP when he rests overnight? Wights lack a constitution score and a metabolism, so I am thinking not. Do the rules cover this?

Scharlata

First Post
thorian said:
If I have a wight character (from Savage Species), would he regain HP when he rests overnight? Wights lack a constitution score and a metabolism, so I am thinking not. Do the rules cover this?

Hi!

Even if this sounds to be unbelievable ;) the Monster Manual Glossary (page 317) tells us the following under "Undead Type":..... Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature's Intelligence score.

If fast healing works (see MM Glossary, page 309) [... Except where noted here, fast healing is just like natural healing <see page 146 of the PHB>], then natural healing should also work.

q.e.d.

Kind regards

Sejs

First Post
Intelligent undead heal when they rest just like everyone else. Unintelligent undead cannot heal on their own.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I remember a Lost Worlds bookelet which had a picture of a skeleton picking up one of his bones from the floor and thus healing himself. :)

Y'know, if you had two wights, they could give each other negative levels, and healing wouldn't be a problem (isn't is 5 hp per negative level given to undead?)

Particle_Man said:
I remember a Lost Worlds bookelet which had a picture of a skeleton picking up one of his bones from the floor and thus healing himself. :)

Y'know, if you had two wights, they could give each other negative levels, and healing wouldn't be a problem (isn't is 5 hp per negative level given to undead?)
Undead are not subject to energy drain. :)

AR

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Sejs said:
Intelligent undead heal when they rest just like everyone else. Unintelligent undead cannot heal on their own.

This is explained and described in Libris Mortis. This is the only book I remember seeing this in. I'll paraphrase.

Intelligent undead heal 1 hp per Hit Die with 8 or more consecutive hours of inactivity. They also heal ability damage at a rate of 1 point per 24 hours (this does not apply if an undead's diet dependence is not fulfilled, such as a vampire's need for blood...this is a variant rule introduced in Libris Mortis).

the Jester

Legend
Nightchilde-2 said:
This is explained and described in Libris Mortis.

All right, this is yet another reason why I'm buying that book today!

Before reading this, I was thinking that my ruling would have been that undead heal like everyone else, but the 'intelligent' undead clause is perfect.

Remove ads