• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do we know if they are keeping the 20 Natural score cap? What about expanded backgrounds?

Bryk

First Post
It seems like I have to wait until at least July 3rd, but probably longer under DMG??? I doubt the PHB would have further details concerning more expanded backgrounds, specifically "specialties".

I know it was previously mentioned that levels 1-4 were meant to be for beginners, and players should typically start at level 3. What is everyone's thoughts on this? I've been running 2 groups through my custom campaign since last September and October. I felt I had to give them each an extra ability score improvement / feat at level 1 since level 1 felt lacking.

Due to this I am thinking about home brewing more detailed specialized backgrounds. Basically keep the current background system, but add in additional bonus choices (pick 1), where your race unlocks 2 options, and your class unlocks 3 options.

Thoughts?

Bryk

First Post
I hope they expanded the feats list and balanced them more.

What I am looking for is more of a "free special" feat at level 1. That is more of a pre-character development(background speciality). Something that you wouldn't pickup as quickly as a feat.

Guess we'll have to wait for PHB.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
The DMG will almost certainly be the place for any guidelines on changing and modifying the background system.

In the latest Q&A on twitch they talk a little about customizing backgrounds. It's sometime in the first 30 minutes, but I don't have an exact timestamp, sorry.

Mearls says something to the effect of giving +1 to hit against dragons is not what a background is supposed to accomplish.

Of course, if you want to give everyone at your a standard background and a bonus feat, I don't see any reason why not. It certainly won't effect balance (in the comparing PC vs PC sense), if every character has access to it. It'll make the first few levels a shade easier, but that's easily dealt with.

Edit: And I expect there are far more feats and backgrounds than in the last playtest packet.

Thaumaturge.

Wraithdrit

First Post
Every mention the designers have had about Backgrounds or even about hacking the system in its current form starts with customizing backgrounds. So I think you should be safe to customize them without too much worry. If you are really worried about balance then just be sure to keep them in the spirit of the current backgrounds. They mostly deal with contacts or knowledge, not special combat abilities.

I'm curious why you thought the characters needed another feat or were lacking at low levels. Was it that they didn't have enough to do? Didn't feel unique? Felt underpowered? I found that at second level the characters I've seen from my players so far had plenty of options to make themselves unique, and had plenty of choices for what to do. Now admittedly its not the power overload of 4th edition, but that is not what this edition was intended to be.

- Wraith

Bryk

First Post
I just feel at low level, every class is nearly identical in combat. All the non casters all get 1 attack with a specific weapon, and they all are about equal at doing it. I just don't feel this should be the case. If someone trained with their whole life with a bow, I don't want it to just be dexterity, since they have some specialized training.

I'm still not sure exactly how to do it. I don't want it to necessary be an active combat decision type of feat, but I kind of don't want it to just be a passive +2 to archery attack rolls since that overlaps with fighting styles.

What I'm kind of aiming to do is more so offset the negative from abilities like Heavy Weapon Master, and Archery Master (-5 penalty), but not necessary give them that feat or force them to use that feat, if that makes any sense.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
When players ask for a feat at level 1, I'll let them have one if they do without all the free feats at level 1.

Two-Weapon Fighting
Quickdraw (Mythic)
Weapon Finesse (Mythic)
Arcane Armor Mastery
Combat Casting
Spring Attack (almost)
Shot on the Run
whatever feat lets you move between attacks,
whatever feat lets you add your Dex bonus to ranged damage,
and any I missed.

Remove ads