• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

do you allow flaws?

Do you use/allow the purchase of flaws?

• I never allow Flaws

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • A PC can have 1 Flaw

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • A PC can have 2 Flaws

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • A PC can have 3+ Flaws

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I have not decided

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Poll closed .

Beholder Bob

First Post
Well, do ya, punk!

If you allow characters to take flaws, how many?

Vacant minds would like to know.

If you are unfamiliar with flaws - a weakness is 'purchased' for a character, generally generating a penalty worse then a feat would grant, and in exchange, gives you a bonus feat.

B:]B

The_Universe

First Post
Flaws are required in the D20 Modern/Sidewinder: Recoiled game I'm currently running. All characters must have 1 flaw (and get a feat in return) but characters may take up to 2 (for yet another feat). Any more than two flaws is just crippling, though - I don't think I'd allow any more than that.

Sadrik

First Post
I dont allow them but I give a bonus feat that has to be specifically tied to the characters background which automatically knocks out a lot of the combat feats.

Beholder Bob

First Post
GlassJaw said:
No. I would rather see that stuff *gasp* role-played instead of making everything into a mechanic.

But what of: missing a hand or eye, mute, severe limp, etc?

Also, just w/mechanics, -3 will, fort, or reflex save, -5 (?) initiative, .....

B:]B

Corlon

First Post
I don't really see a problem with flaws. I'm sure there are some annoying builds that could be thoguht up with them, but for the purpose of keeping it interesting, if a character wanted a flaw I'd give it to them, but so far no one has requested anything like that, so currently I guess I go under "I haven't decided."

Quickleaf

Legend
Well, I didn't vote, cause I've never used them. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't.

I agree that they should be role-played. I have been working on a list of "complications" for a True20 setting, such as Wicked Relative or Ineptitude. Each is sort of a plot hook for a PC which provides a Conviction point for acheiving the turning point. "Gosh, you mean I'm not inept anymore? Oof!...ow..." *crash*

Xath

Moder-gator
I made a character for a Wheel of Time game with 4 flaws. She's still pretty competent. But it took some tricky engineering.

Beholder Bob

First Post
What, no love for flaws?

Me, I've got seven flaws (don't ask, I'm too embarassed, another of my flaws). Some of my characters have flaws. My posts are flawed. Ach.

Remove ads