• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you allow resurrection-type magic in your campaign?

Resurrection-type magic?

• No. If you're dead, you're dead for good.

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • No, except in very rare circumastances.

Votes: 50 19.5%
  • Yes, but with strings attached (quest for temple, limited number of times, etc...)

Votes: 114 44.5%
  • Yes, just like the Player's Handbook says.

Votes: 83 32.4%

jasper

Rotten DM
no strings drop another quarter in the slot and raise Merric's Mage. What Fred is dead and you're out raise spells, and too far to city. Merric roll up a new mage. poof . Game on.
My question for those who outlaw raises. How mean are you in combat? Do you take out the fighter with rot grubs because he dug through the garbage to get that last gp. If merric fumbles three times in a roll and the orc nat 20 him three tims does the orc do a jig as Merric's tank clanks to the ground at -11.

just__al

First Post
I voted yes, but with strings attached. That being said, if one of my players was a high level cleric and wanted to cast the spell on their own, I'd allow them to do it without the service for the temple any other cleric would ask. If the person in question was very contrary to the tenents of the religion then maybe I'd have the cleric loose some spells until they atoned (and the atonement would be to extract a service from the raised or get them honestly converted) More importantly, if they prayed for the spell with the intent of raising a heretic their god would refuse them the spell.

Zappo

Explorer
Yes, as per the PHB. It isn't exactly easy anyway, what with the cost and the need for it to be in diamonds. It isn't as bad as, y'know, being dead, but it hardly makes the PCs fearless.

Garlak

First Post
No, I hate those spells.

I don't have a problem with them as plot devices though.
A people might seek the resting place of a hero to raise him to save them from a threat for example. That would be meaningfull.
It would be a great quest not a meaningless spell.

CalicoDave

Explorer
I said "Yes, just like the PHB" but I don't really like it as a DM.

I'd like to change them or remove them entirely as I don't like the world implications (e.g. the king got assassinated? just raise 'em), but I think doing so would really hurt the players. They play their characters to have fun, and if the character would accidently get killed, not being raised would really rankle. It really doesn't matter to me as DM what characters they play, so leaving these spells in is acceptable.

Last edited:

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Technically, various replies to the poll could be made.... depending on the game, DM and character levels.

Low-level: When you die, you stay dead. Get out 4d6 and start rolling. Besides, what low-level party could afford a rez spell anyways?

Mid-level: depends on cash flow of party. And if you could find a cleric of the appropriate level and "compatible" with your alignment to rez you. Or your cleric is of the right level and has the material component handy or can get it.

High-level: Same as "mid-level"

Epic-level: It's pretty much a guaranteed rez, with True Rez available and party funds to afford the material component. Our epic party had a total of 5! 25k gp diamonds available for my cleric to use for the spell.

Chimera

First Post
Yes with conditions.

It depends on the God and the Sect (some Gods have multiple sects). Sometimes it depends on the sect leadership.

It's more likely to be available from Good sects, though the price may vary wildly. Some sects will only raise major contributors, public figures or higher ranking members of their own sect. The more evil sects of the God of the Dead won't raise anyone for any reason. But you can always come back in undead form...

Bottom line, Yes. But it depends on the whims of the sect as to who they chose to raise, how much it costs and/or whether other conditions are attached.

akchf

First Post
jasper said:
no strings drop another quarter in the slot and raise Merric's Mage. What Fred is dead and you're out raise spells, and too far to city. Merric roll up a new mage. poof . Game on.
My question for those who outlaw raises. How mean are you in combat? Do you take out the fighter with rot grubs because he dug through the garbage to get that last gp. If merric fumbles three times in a roll and the orc nat 20 him three tims does the orc do a jig as Merric's tank clanks to the ground at -11.

I am banning it for the most part, if the PC really wants to, they are going to need to get some rare and expensive components to do it.
As for your question of how mean I am in combat, I'm definitely a player's DM. I think I've only killed one character in 3 years of playing, and fudged a few rolls that would've decimated others.

Wombat

First Post
In most of the gameworlds I have run under D&Desque rules, Raise Dead, et alia, is a terrilby rare spell, usually saved for major political or spiritual figures, and even then with incredibly high cost and many strings attached.

In other words, players hear that it takes place, but unless they are 15th+ level, not a chance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads