Do you allow third party material in your games?

the Jester

Legend
On the DM's side, absolutely; it's easy for me to fix things that prove broken and rebalance, or ultimately rewrite or stop using stuff that is out of whack.

On the player's side- it really depends. No TPP are allowed in without a thorough review, and many things (e.g. spells and magic items) aren't simply available to pcs even if I allow them in the game. To use a non-PH spell, a pc has to be exposed to it first, so that is a strong control I use- even things from Xanathar's or whatever aren't simply open for players to use without first encountering them.

OTOH if I like a new subclass, I'm inclined to grant easy access to it. Sometimes, as with a few of my custom domains for clerics, something has to happen to 'unlock' access for the campaign- e.g. nobody got to play a Luck cleric until the pcs encountered the hidden priestess of the hidden Luck goddess.

Things like races are especially problematic; my world has a deeply detailed history and is highly developed. Most new races either simply don't fit my vision of a largely humanocentric setting or don't work as pcs for me.

Then again, not even all PH material makes it into my game. Drow, for example, are monsters, not pcs, in my campaign.

Remove ads