• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Believe in Magic?

Do you believe in magic? (Please read OP before voting)

• Yes

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 61 63.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 2 2.1%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I wonder how many of us gamers believe in magic, in the okay-for-real-now, this-is-serious sort of way.

Now, I know that there are many different definitions of the word "magic." So to keep the discussion on track (and hopefully avoid the religion boilerplate), I would like us to consider only this one definition of the word for the poll.

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

mag·ic n. The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural.

So, do you believe in it?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
No, but I like to think I keep an open mind. Just because we can't see something or our current instruments cannot detect something, doesn't mean it doesn't necessarily exist. I think it's possible, while unlikely, that perhaps Magic is simply hiding due to fear of people finding out and attempting to exterminate it, experiment on it, or basically be in general harmful to it and those who use it.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if Magic did exist and its existence was slowly or abruptly leaked into everday life. What would happen?

So while I occasionally think it [since I like to write mainly, and ponder how I could use such an idea in a story], I don't believe with a sureness in it nor do I completely dismiss it as being completely preposterous, just in case there's a chance it truly is real.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Eh... Cruel question you have there... After long consideration I took Maybe. With all the weird stuff I've witnessed I'd be idiot to say that I don't believe in the possibility of supernatural. *Possibility*, that's the keyword. I can't say I believe in it outright, but I've seen enough to make me wonder, what if... So Maybe.

Jhaelen

First Post
From the American Heritage Dictionary:

mag·ic n. The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural.
Well, I'm firmly in the 'No' camp.

This 'definition', however, is a bit odd or at least incomplete. What does 'invoking the supernatural' mean?

Does 'supernatural' mean something for which no natural explanation is known? If so, the question gets more tricky because I think there may be a few things which cannot be explained satisfyingly yet.

I do not doubt, though, that a natural explanation for everything exists.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Nope.

However if you can demonstrate it in a controlled setting, and can repeat it in the same setting, you could change my mind. And at the same time you'd win a prize from The Amazing Randi.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Yes, I know it is a tricky question (and a vague definition, to boot.) English is a strange language sometimes.

I remember reading something recently about this topic...I think it was in our campus newspaper, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it seems that about 20% of the folks surveyed do indeed believe in magic (the supernatural kind, not the sleight-of-hand variety or the popular card game.)

I wondered what kind of results I would get if I polled a group of gamers. We seem to talk about supernatural stuff a lot more frequently than, say, engineering students...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads