• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you buy D&D Minis?

Do you buy D&D miniatures?

• Never

Votes: 55 28.2%
  • Rarely, I own a few and occasionally buy a booster.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Frequently, I don't own them all but I have a good collection.

Votes: 76 39.0%
  • Always. I'm a rabid fan and try to get them all.

Votes: 16 8.2%

Jhaelen

First Post
johnnype said:
If so, do you use them when playing the RPG or are they only for use with the miniatures game? Do you like their integration into the game even if they are not strictly required?

I think they are too costly so I ignore them completely. I also cringe at the thought of organizing and storing them as I have a hard enough time finding room for my books.
Unfortunately, I got addicted to them in no time. It didn't really help that being the DM I have a use for almost all kinds of minis. I initially only used them for the rpg, but since one of my players started collecting them, too, I also play the occasional match against him.

The thing is: Even if most of them are painted shoddily, they still look better (or are at least more recognizable) than my unpainted lead minis. They are also robust: My larger lead minis are basically untransportable, especially the ones consisting of several glued parts. Finally, they're also a lot cheaper than lead minis, unless you're buying single rares.

Space is starting to become an issue, though, since I really like them to be visible at all times so I can more easily pick the ones I'll need for a session.

Dragon Snack

First Post
Hmm, I don't have them all, but I have a sizable collection. But I don't buy them.

At least not lately. I bought 14 cases of WotDQ (you heard me), but that was the last big purchase. I bought a couple hundred last January (2007, not last month), but they were cheap singles. Between already having a large collection, the price increase, eBay fee increases combined with 'crap rares' (I would sell the rares to pay for the cases), and a player who 'collects them all' I haven't felt the need to drop the cash on them.

bento

Explorer
I started with the Abberation set and was very happy with the selection. When I got three dire bears in the five Deathknell boosters I decided to scale back my purchases. Since then I usually pick up a booster or two from every set.

I've also learned how to paint my own minis and became a big fan of metal. I probably spend more on metal figures now that even RPGs. This is to support RPG playing as well as some mini-games.

Another thing that's helped is my FLGS has started selling the DDM singles, so I've picked up a lot of things I've missed, as long as they are under the $8 range. I just can't see myself spending more than that on a single plastic figure.

I had some good luck with the recent Desert of Desolation set though, getting several boosters for Christmas and recent birthday. This Friday when I opened a booster with the Gelatenous Cube in it (hoo-ray)! My son was carrying it around all Saturday, calling it "Cubey." Speaking of my son, he and I play a simplified version of DDM. I find its a great "gateway" game for developing my kids to D&D terminology and concepts.

Bagpuss

Legend
I voted rarely as that's where I'm at currently, although I use to be frequently and even always at one time. I have a reasonable collection now, and really with the price of them now days and other demands on my budget I only rarely pick them up.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
A couple of us usually go in together and get a case or so when a new set comes out, then fill in the blanks we need with eBay or IconUSA purchases for individual figures. That can be problematic since unlike the Heroclix minis, D&D minis tend to be priced higher and don't tend to erode in value. Damn stirges are a Rare monster and they're like $4.00 each; needless to say we have one of them when we need about 20.

None of us have ever played the minis game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads