• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Do You Care About Planescape Lore?

Do You Care about Planescape Lore?

avin

First Post
What personally bothers me is setting material that is not meant to be gamed with.

I'm on the opposite hand, background material are inspiration, fuel to my games. Even if I seldom use it as written.

There will be always material which people won't touch it. Pure elemental planes for some guys, halfling and gnome stuff for me :)

Imaro

Legend
I do not mind setting material. What personally bothers me is setting material that is not meant to be gamed with. The most interesting parts of any setting should be where it interfaces with the player characters. I do not want overwritten material that is unlikely to matter in actual play. Give me directly relevant material that shapes the play environment.

I have some thoughts on this but was wondering if you could clarify what you mean by "relevant material"?

EDIT: Perhaps an example of relevant setting material vs. irrelevant setting material?

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
The Great Wheel is my favorite cosmology, and I do rather enjoy Sigil, quirks and all. The massive scope and interconnectedness are actually a big part of what I love about it.
Sometimes I think I'm weird because I love Sigil and the factions much more than the Great Wheel. I enjoy the Great Wheel, but I'm just as happy using Golarion's or Eberron's cosmology and sticking Sigil in it. Still works fine.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
What started this whole thread came out of the Yugoloth thread. In the Yugoloth thread, someone mentioned that it might be a cool idea if Yugoloth served gods. Not that they have to or anything like that. Just a thought. [MENTION=11697]Shemeska[/MENTION] immediately stated that this would be impossible because Yugoloth hate gods. The entire idea is shot down, not because the idea is bad or not interesting, but because it contradicts Planescape canon.
To be fair, [MENTION=11697]Shemeska[/MENTION] is an outlier of the outliers when it comes to adherence to Planescape canon. I could see Yugoloths serving evil gods, like Angels serve good gods, as making perfect sense. But 5e isn't the edition for new and interesting ideas, at least not before everything canonical is rolled out first.

Imaro

Legend
This statement, especially the bold part...
THAT'S my point for this thread. Trying to paint me as some hysterical PS hater isn't true. I don't like Planescape, but, then again, I would argue for any setting having this sort of authority over core.

seems kind of contradictory to this statement
I didn't rail against 4e changes, because the 4e changes were interesting.

Can you see why many feel this thread is just "Hussar's hate of Planescape knows no limits" vs. "Hussar feels that no setting should push it's conceits into core"?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
What started this whole thread came out of the Yugoloth thread. In the Yugoloth thread, someone mentioned that it might be a cool idea if Yugoloth served gods. Not that they have to or anything like that. Just a thought. Shemeska immediately stated that this would be impossible because Yugoloth hate gods. The entire idea is shot down, not because the idea is bad or not interesting, but because it contradicts Planescape canon.

Canon which does not exist in any other setting other than Planescape.

I called this sort of reaction "hysterical" because it not only overstates what's happening, but does so to such a degree that it's difficult to take seriously.

What happened was that, on another thread, one person posted an idea, and another person debated it. Shemeska didn't attack the other poster, he didn't say that it was an inherently bad idea, he just personally disagreed with it, and noted why he did so (e.g. adherence to prior materials). That was that; a civil, rational exchange of ideas on a topic, which is sort of the point of having these threads in the first place.

Now comes Hussar, loudly bemoaning the "oppression" of a whole range of ideas by these PS-loving fanatics, "shooting down" ideas as though they have some sort of thought-control powers.

And this is hardly the first time I've seen this sort of thing. Any time any discussion of planar elements comes up, the PS fans jump up and down that any change must first be vetted to be PS compatible.

There's a hypocritical element in this, as for the last several years I've seen you jump into any thread where someone expressed a critique or other negative opinion of Fourth Edition, and proceed to derail the thread by telling them exactly why they're wrong and 4E is the best version of D&D ever to come out. You're a practitioner of the very same "chilling effect" you claim (incorrectly) to be receiving from others now.

No other setting ever gets to have that level of control over core elements in D&D. And I have no idea why PS fans get away with it. Why do the rest of us, who have zero interest in PS lore have to follow PS canon in publications which are not set in Planescape?

According to your own poll, "the rest of us" constitute a minority. So there's that.

If I want to add the idea of god serving Yugoloths into the game, that should be discussed on its own merits. Not shot down simply because it counters something in a book that only applies to one setting.

As mentioned previously, the canon is part of the issue of merits that can be discussed in relation to an idea. Likewise, disliking or otherwise disagreeing with an idea is not "shooting it down."

THAT'S my point for this thread. Trying to paint me as some hysterical PS hater isn't true. I don't like Planescape, but, then again, I would argue for any setting having this sort of authority over core. I didn't rail against 4e changes, because the 4e changes were interesting.

As Imaro said, this is incredibly hypocritical - you're against changes being imposed onto the Core, and every other setting...unless they're interesting the way the 4E changes were (and those were everywhere; just look at the Primordials in Dark Sun).

Heck, Yugoloths hating gods might be every bit as interesting as yugoloths serving gods. My beef is that the discussion gets shut down, not because the ideas are bad, but because the keepers of the PS lore forbid any changes.

For the record, people who disagree with you are not "shutting down" anything. But if you want to see fewer people acting as some sort of thought-police over what's good for the game, I suggest starting a little closer to home.

Last edited:

avin

First Post
As a 4E DM and DDI subscriber I endorse [MENTION=8461]Alzrius[/MENTION]: 4E cosmology is far more intrusive than any other in Monster Manuals.

the Jester

Legend
Wow, this thread has grown about 24 pages since last I looked, and at a skim, it has gotten pretty interesting.

Personally, I like the PS lore, but I also feel free to deviate from in-the-book material. That said, I vastly prefer fluff that I'm inspired to use vs. fluff I'm not inspired to use, but within limits (tying generic monsters to specific deities crosses the line, for me; shadar-kai, I'm looking at you). I don't want fluff that can't be easily adapted to my homebrewed world, cosmology, pantheon, etc.

Obviously, it's different with a "Monsters of DarkSun" product or whatever. Then, sure, tie them in to the campaign setting. But for God's sake, don't absorb generic monsters into a setting-specific product. The 3e Monsters of Faerun was TERRIBLE for this- firenewts, leucrotta, perytons, aarakocra, abishai, bullywugs, revenants, shadow dragons, giant striders, fog giants, gibberlings, hybsils, wemics, meazels, quaggoths and maybe more were all generic monsters that got detailed in a product that also had a ton of VERY setting-specific stuff (beast of Malar, beast of Xvim, banedead, silly dwarf subraces, bizarre stuff like the phaerimm and nishru, etc) that I'm unlikely to ever use.

RichGreen

Adventurer
But for God's sake, don't absorb generic monsters into a setting-specific product. The 3e Monsters of Faerun was TERRIBLE for this- firenewts, leucrotta, perytons, aarakocra, abishai, bullywugs, revenants, shadow dragons, giant striders, fog giants, gibberlings, hybsils, wemics, meazels, quaggoths and maybe more were all generic monsters that got detailed in a product that also had a ton of VERY setting-specific stuff (beast of Malar, beast of Xvim, banedead, silly dwarf subraces, bizarre stuff like the phaerimm and nishru, etc) that I'm unlikely to ever use.
Yes, that was an odd decision. Most of those should have gone in MM2 instead but IIRC Monsters of Faerun came out first. My guess is that there weren't enough genuine FR monsters.

Cheers

Rich

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads