• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you carry a pocketknife?

loki44

Explorer
The "Do you wear a watch?" thread reminded me of something I wonder about. Why do so many guys carry knives? What do you use them for and/or why do you think you might need one? I'm especially curious about the big ol' buck knives that are carried in a sheath attached to one's belt.

Black Pharaoh

First Post
I carry a Leatherman Charge Xti. If I don't have it with me it is like not having one of my arms. I work as an engineer and I use it all the time.

I have a Leatherman Wave that I have around all the time. I don't usually wear it, but it's in my backpack, which is rarely far away. I use it at work all the time, and it comes in handy around the house fairly often as well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have carried one on and off dating back to my days as a Cub/Boy Scout...

These days, I go through so many metal detectors that its not a good idea, but I still have a blade that is part of my wood/turquoise/mother of pearl money clip. Its small, but I keep it sharp.

And I put it in my luggage (empty, of course) when I fly. No sense risking getting it confiscated.

So my knives basically stay at home, unless I'm going someplace where I know I'll need one.

crybaby

First Post
Among several knives that i have around me i have one knife that is almost always on me. A 2.5" Gerber Knife with belt clip that i have cliped to my pants in the small of my back, I do use it for misc. things around the office as i work at a sign shop, but i also use it to open mail, electronic items in that really annoying sealed hard plastic...etc.

BSF

Explorer
I almost always have my Leatherman with me. I use it to open things, make impromptu repairs, tighten down random screws, etc. I don't need it for work, but I use it at work quite often. For hiking, I recently bought a more generic knife. Though the saw on the Leatherman works well, it isn't necessarily practical. If I am hiking with my son and something happens to me, he can actually open the new knife. He is too young to be able to open the Leatherman. I hope I don't ever need an emergency knife, but that is why you prepare.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads