• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you Cthulhu? Patronage project...open design.

Daigle

Explorer
At risk of losing my gamer card ( I swear I have it around here somewhere), I have to admit I never played CoC until the past year. I found it to be a very simple system to pick up and it plays really smoothly, especially for RP focused folks.

When I first started hearing little waves of conversation about this project, I was immediately hooked. The concept that this occurs throughout five different time periods is fantastic. I can’t wait to see this come to fruition and I really can’t wait to play it!

davethegame

Explorer
My reluctance is that if its Pathfinder my interest in this would drop considerably. Pathfinder is a great game for fantasy but I don't like systems being used for something they really were not designed for.

I had the same concern, but I dived in and supported anyway. I made my passionate arguments and now BRP actually has a decent lead (probably not related), and so any supporters that feel the same I do can only cement it.

I haven't been able to dive into the discussion as much as I wanted to so far, but I've already seen a few ideas that even if they don't make it into the final product I will probably steal for my own games.

sgstyrsky

First Post
One thing that excites me for this project is the reincarnation mechanic being kicked around. The writers are considering rules to allow PCs to draw on skills/knowledge from lives of earlier investigators. I.E. your samurai will be able to know things experienced by the viking you played in the first adventure.

But also, with a patron project you get to have discussions about game/adventure design with some of the best people working in the field.

Crothian

First Post
I'm still thinking it over. I've never been involved in one of these and this is really the first one that has tempted me. I've recently started to flesh out my own CoC collection and for the first time I plan on running the game for a Halloween one shot.

About how many patrons are involverd in this?

While I can't answer the question of how many patrons are involved directly, I can tell you the experiences of the past...

...at least my own. In the past, overarching themes have a cry of voices, I'd guess as many as 20-50, providing ideas, support, naysaying, critiquing, etc. Usually these are short comments about overarching ideas.

In terms of actual direct contributions, the numbers are usually smaller, from as small as 5 to as large as 20. E.G. if there is a call for NPCs or Magic items, or somesuch there will be fewer official submissions.

An even smaller number is the amount of actual pitches for adventures. I've usually seen from 3-10 (and 10 is more of an anomaly) total, full blown pitches that patrons choose between. Sometimes the votes are quite clear, and sometimes it's one or two votes that decides what is written and what isn't. (I'm still hoping for a certian KQ submission from one of the authors for a really brilliant pitch that just didn't quite make it into Halls of the Mountain King). He'd thought about writing up his pitch as more of a city ecology of sorts than an actual adventure for the magazine...but I digress.

While the pitches are being considered, and after the "winners" have been selected, there is ample opportunity for patrons to provide input. Depending on the issue (its "hotness", its controversiality, its need for design help, etc) there may be a multitude of voices or just a few. When there are many, it usually is still a disussion between a few major points (and these discussions are almost always civil and intelligent, despite being passionate at the same time).

All in all, the actual number of patrons, in my opinion, is somewhat irrelevant. A better question, for me anyway, is how much input a given patron has the opportunity to provide and likely be received. To answer that, I'd say that it's just about as much as you'd want. There's plenty of room to have your say, and while not everyone will always agree, I've never seen someone's opinion ignored/not considered.

Same goes for pitches. If you're a senior patron, you'll get the chance to pitch. There are even some senior patrons that may not pitch (they just want to be in on the design discussions, either to influence or observe). The quality of the pitch has seemed to determine the final result in the past as well. Often they are anonymous.

I guess, in short, the best answer to "how many patrons there are", at least to me, is "it doesn't matter...any patron can get as much or as little out of it as they would like."

Let me know if my ramblings were off target and you'd like me or someone else to clarify with an answer along a different vein.

Monkey King

Explorer
About how many patrons are involverd in this?

About 50, of which a goodly proportion are lurkers, as Aberzanzorax pointed out.

It's also not quite enough to go ahead with the project as originally outlined, but we've got a couple weeks yet to find support. If it doesn't happen, you get a full refund, of course.

I'm actually most excited about the possibilities of Vikings in conjunction with the Cthulhu mythos.

As Lovecraft elevated the educated and derided the "contry yokel" I see a great opportunity to juxtapose these tropes while simulaneously honoring them...

...Plus viking myths are just BEGGING for a Cthulhu mythos slant to them.

P

PaulofCthulhu

I think there's about three days to go before the final decision is made about the rules system for the project.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads