• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Ever Give Characters Magic Items?

JoeGKushner

First Post
This was part of Arthur's doom (fate) however, so I don't know if that's the strongest analogy to draw with most adventurers in roleplaying games.

But as a player, would the player care? We could argue the same for Elric and Stormbringer and even though Elric isn't 'given' Stormbringer, for the power of the sword and the long utility he gets from it, I don't think the player would be harping about it.

How about, and I dread using this, Lion-O with the Sword of Omens? He's essentially a one-dimensional parody of a leader in that he's a child in a man's form but from my poor recollection, he didn't really 'earn' it.

On the other hand, sometimes the items are iconic to the character. Here I'm really showing my age but I don't recall how if ever its explained how Thundar came to own the Sunsword or even with Jedi, how it's essentially a routine process to craft their lightsabers despite what powerful weapons they make (that essentially only Jedi can use safely as explained in RPG terms at least in the old SW game)

One of the things I picked up from Mask of the Red Death is to make each magic item unique. Given the difficulties of making a permanent magic item, you won’t see factories cranking out a hundred +1 swords a year. So, each item was probably created for one purpose or person in mind and should reflect that.

With this in mind, each item that the PC’s discover (found, looted, inherited, whatever) in my game has a history. That history also gives clues and hints of additional powers and what the eventual use (Hint! Hint! Future adventure goal here.) the item has. It also advances the plotline as well as propping up the character development.

This has appeared often in plots of fantasy novels and occasionally this is also shows up in some of the older adventure modules. The hero is (Surprise. Surprise.) carrying some special thing that is needed to stop the villains evil plan though he doesn’t know it at the start. I think the original I6 Ravenloft adventure was the first to suggest this. (Black opals, a specific sword, that sort of thing.)

Good stuff. But the bear of the thing is the long term planning that goes with it.

JoeGKushner

First Post
In terms of 'getting' magic items, how could I forget Perseus? He's given everything form his half-god heritage to his weapon and shield. Hell, even after the decapitation of his foe he gets a free pegasus.

Poor Medusa never stood a chance.

Verdande

First Post
When have you ever heard of magic being given away with no strings attached?

King Arthur's sword, perhaps? Elric's doom-bringing sword? In most legends, heroes are given magical items by well-wishers or the guardians of such magic, as they're destined to use it, the prophecy foretold their coming, or some such.

It makes more sense to be given magic than to loot it from some off-the-wall place, in my mind. How is there a +3 sword in some ruins? Why hasn't an army come by to pick it up and give it to their general? Have there been no other heroes in the world, no other people who've said "I could really use some magical items"?

It makes more sense that the magical items in the world all have keepers and guardians and owners than they're floating more or less free in places of moderate nastiness, guarded by half-wit beings who can be slain by a group of 3-6 dedicated wanderers.

But that's just my 2c.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
King Arthur's sword, perhaps? Elric's doom-bringing sword? In most legends, heroes are given magical items by well-wishers or the guardians of such magic, as they're destined to use it, the prophecy foretold their coming, or some such.

A destiny is a rather large string, especially if we use myths for any kind of reference. B-)

It makes more sense to be given magic than to loot it from some off-the-wall place, in my mind. How is there a +3 sword in some ruins? Why hasn't an army come by to pick it up and give it to their general? Have there been no other heroes in the world, no other people who've said "I could really use some magical items"?
Perhaps for the same reasons the army hasn't taken magic items from their guardians or owners: They can't, or they don't know it's there.

I mean come on, anyone that goes looking in ruins for stuff that may or may not be there when there are bona fide items of legend gathering dust in the local abbey isn't doing it right.

Andramelech

First Post
Remember the D&D cartoon?

I copied that years ago. I gave all the 1st level characters powerfull magic items, along with a nemesis, who's goal was to steal these items to increase his power. I didn't call him Venger though.

It ended up not being a very popular campaign, so I went back to being stingy with magic items. Players appreciate them more if they have to earn them.

Vaslov

Explorer
Absolutely. Having it as a gift can create all sorts of fun role playing strings attached. Even if there are no strings it can help define a character in the world.

I've even taken it a step further. When 3.0 came out the group I first gamed with did not have a lot of experience with D&D. We came up with some rules, and in game fluff, that each player near limitless access to magic items up to a cost limit by level as leaders of a very powerful guild. At the start of every game from home base the players would outfit the team within a budget to achieve some end in the game world. The idea was to encourage everyone to try different items and learn what was out there.

The game lasted around 12 sessions and taunt us a lot about what was available and even uncovered some odd ball magic item mixes that were fairly potent. It worked so well in my first 4E game I am doing the same thing. This approach did remove the "finding that cool magic item" thrill. For us understanding the possibilities can be fun.

Remove ads