• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you ever "steal" ideas from your DMs?

dreaded_beast

First Post
For DMs who are also players:

When thinking up ideas and adventures, do you ever draw upon your player experience and rehash/reuse adventures/ideas/NPCs that your old/current DM has used when you run your games?

the Jester

Legend
I've used ideas from old dms I've played under, but try to avoid using stuff from the other dm in our group- we've all been through that together.

A couple of times we've both used similar ideas within a few weeks of each other, but in each case I think we each had planned it independently.

BSF

Explorer
I generally do not borrow ideas from my DM's. If there is something I think is really cool though, I will ask them about it. Usually, somebody else's idea won't fit perfectly anyway. But, I might be able to fieldstrip the idea and make it work for my game.

The stuff that I draw on is characterization, description, visualization, etc. Basically, technique. When a DM uses something very effectively, I tend to ask myself, "How can I do that?" Not the exact situation, but the way it was conveyed effectively.

SSquirrel

Explorer
I steal ideas from any and everywhere. I have no shame *grin*

I would run a D&D campaign based on my new Parliament double disc if I thought I could get my group into it heh.

Hagen

Stahn Li

First Post
My view is a good Dm will understand why your stealing his idea, becasue a good DM has stolen more than his share of ideas anyway

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Of course!

Imitation is the highest form of flattery

If a previous DM ran a great game with some neat ideas I have no problem using them as long as it is with a totally different group.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
I DM one group and play in a completley different group. I have not swiped anything yet, but would have no problem doing so. Other than that, I steal alot from B.A. and Nitro ;)

just__al

First Post
I just started playing in a game away from my normal group. We have been captured by Drow and are being tortured to extract Liquid Pain. As I am preparing to DM for my next turn in the big chair at my normal game, I plan on grabbing this idea, simple though it may be.

jasper

Rotten DM
YES. In one campaign my hobbit could be the united nations of demihumans and humanoid monsters due to the number of reincarnate and bad rolls on polymorph.
Hobbit, stone giant, troll, orge, half orc, hmm I forget what else. I stole that idea that my npc hobbit mess up when stealing a magic crown under construction. So there are x number crowns out there which the personality and abilities of the hobbit are available to crown. So they have met a orge wearing a copper crown calling himself x. And a troll with a crown calling himself x. the group ran away from the troll.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads