D&D 5E Do you let PC's just *break* objects?

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Imagine this:

A player looks at an object of indescript material, location, and size.

The player decides they want to break the object. Do you let them do so? And how do you do it? What is the limit? Does it depend on context or as long as the object doesn't say its unbreakable, they can break it?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Unless there was some particular reason to keep them from willy nilly breaking something (like being a macguffin or something), I don't see why I'd stop them from breaking something.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
In order to answer the question, the object needs to be of known material, location, and size.

Breaking a mug full of ale is different from breaking a castle gate. The details matter.
I guess I'm asking what details make you outright say "no."

So rather than indescript information, you can add what your limit is.

Andvari

Hero
If the PC says "I want to break the castle wall in half with my bare hands" then no, unless it's a toy castle. They might break it using a catapult, though.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
an object of indescript material, location, and size.

Echoing Umbran, those three things are exactly what are needed to answer the question! I would add time to that. Given time, a lot of things can be broken - but I have to know what it is to give a ruling on time and effort even if success is (eventually) guaranteed.

If something is potentially important to accomplishing something I will have determined its AC and hardness and hit points ahead of time.

Remove ads