• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you let players determine what some NPCs are like?

Ottergame

First Post
I am playing in a game where I, as a player, am in a position where I've devolped a not insiginificant part of the world, and have decided how a few NPCs close to me act. My GM has been accepting of this, thankfully. He understands that it's part of my characters history and background to set these people up as I have.

But that made me think, I have been in games where I've not been allowed to devolp my own characters background, much less those of NPCs. I want to know what the DMs here think. Do you let players decide the history, attitude, and general behaviors of those NPCs that would be close to them (family, friends, lovers) or do you stand firm and only let yourself determine what NPCs are like?

As a little background, my character is a senior member of a thieve's guild. I have determined that the guild is a somewhat more Robin Hood'ish counterpart to the cities other major guild, which is much more underhanded and darked. I devolped the background to two NPCs who are very close to mine, they are best friends and my lovers basically.

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Ottergame said:
Do you let players decide the history, attitude, and general behaviors of those NPCs that would be close to them (family, friends, lovers) or do you stand firm and only let yourself determine what NPCs are like?
I count on them telling me what some NPC's close to them are like; usually I'll let them develop some NPC's. They give me villains, as well, sometimes. So far, no-one's ever tried to say 'So and so is an artificer, and he'd make a +2 sword for me for free'. :)

Uller

Adventurer
Do I allow it?!?!??! He11, I encourage it!

My overriding philosophy as a DM is: "This is the players' story. I'm just here to help them tell it."

When a player makes a PC in my game we usually use the point-buy system and players are encouraged to write a short backstory to their PCs. This can (and should) include the descriptions of important NPCs, guilds, religious sects, ethnicities, nations, regions, etc. If a player says to me "Does my character have any contacts in this town?" I usually reply with something like "I dunno. Does he?" If it fits the character to know a particular NPC who might be interesting to the game then I allow the player to introduce it.

A perfect example: in a recent encounter the party was talking to some NPCs and needed to arrange a meeting. One of the PCs asked another who was familiar with the town for the location of a suitable meeting place. The player, without any hesitation, said "The Boar's Head Tavern down on Pier Street." Now...I as DM had no idea that there was a Pier Street in this town much less a Boar's head Tavern on that street. I don't detail my campaign world enough to know that. But the player knew that her PC would know that kind of information so she made it up...extra XP for her!

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
When I created Djeta's background, I made up a whole slew of NPCs who were her old friends, and family. During a party scene in game once, I was pleased to see that the DM used a few of these NPCs and played them the way I had envisioned them. Of course, I didn't come up with stats or anything for them, just general concepts. I don't think my DM would allow me to create an NPCs stats if it would affect combat a great deal. I mean saying...Djeta's brother is an average human male, isn't teh same as saying Djeta's brother is a 10th level sorcerer and he can beat anything you throw at us.

When I DM my own game, I would allow it, but in the same way.

pogre

Legend
I have to echo everyone else's sentiments here. It truly is a blessing when a player shows this kind of initiative!

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
Ottergame said:
Do you let players decide the history, attitude, and general behaviors of those NPCs that would be close to them (family, friends, lovers) or do you stand firm and only let yourself determine what NPCs are like?
As others have mentioned, this is my preference - I'm quite happy when the players take the initiative (and take on more work). The only thing that I don't let them do is the detailed mechanics (to avoid too much of what WayneLigon mentioned, above).

Altalazar

First Post
I always let players define NPCs as part of their backgrounds. Some do, some don't. It really hasn't been isolated as a particular issue. It is more just sort of "in there."

I don't think it is really possible to make a good background unless there is some leeway to do that. Not unless the DM writes most of it for you. And that isn't usually as interesting for me unless it is part of the overall plotline.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I let PCs create there own family and friends - right down to statting them out and buying them equipment. The most I'll do is say what level their NPCs are and suggest classes (usually something like "your NPC is level 5 (NPC3/PC2)" and a Master Seamstress

I'll even let PCs roleplay their own dependant NPCs (ie NPCs 3 or more levels lower) but not Patrons (NPCs of higher level) and rarely Allies (equivalent level)

Remove ads