• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you like playing in towns?

How much do you like playing in towns?

• I hate towns! It's Dungeons & Dragons, not Towns & Dragons, we teleport directly to the next dungeo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Playing in towns sucks! We meta-game our time in towns so we can get back to the real game quicker!

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Playing in towns is generally boring and we try to minimize it.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Playing in towns is kinda boring because there isn't much detail and it's hard to know what we can d

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Playing in towns is OK. Not better or worse than dungeons.

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Playing in towns is pretty fun, we just don't do it much because the DM complains it takes too long

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Playing in towns is fun and we play in them regularly.

Votes: 42 47.7%
  • Playing in towns ROCKS! Way better than sissy dungeons! Why clean out the sewers for the king when

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Whats a town? (the obligitory other option)

Votes: 0 0.0%

towngen

First Post
About a week ago I posted a beta version of the GUI for a new town generator I am making in the Software forum.

Since I haven't gotten even a single response, I am wondering if perhaps not very many people like playing in a the town setting.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Only if the GM has the town planned out in advance.

The DMG did a lot to help people populate towns, but really a list of what population size is required to support a given buisness would have been nice. It is hard to do that kind of thing on the fly.

Olive

Explorer
BiggusGeekus said:
Only if the GM has the town planned out in advance.

The DMG did a lot to help people populate towns, but really a list of what population size is required to support a given buisness would have been nice. It is hard to do that kind of thing on the fly.

check this out...

http://www.io.com/~sjohn/demog.htm

also, i like towns, but given that our party is entirely dodgy elves and half elves, we get hassled a lot in towns, which gets a bit frustrating...

I've always enjoyed towns, as a DM and player both, a lot of times when charaters are in a town you can get off a lot of free form role play. It's great as a DM to just let the players loose on a town and simple sit back and react to what ever crazy stuff they come up with to keep themselves occupied.
As a player they're fun because you can usally get in a fair amount of "me time" and do all those little personnal things you want to get dun for your character.

Hard8Staff

First Post
Until last year, I never liked playing in towns. It was too hard to get all the detail conveyed to the players.

All that changed when I gamed with the brilliant John O'Neill (owner of blackgate.com). He ran us through a campaign in ancient greece where we spent forever in Thebes. He had a special encounter system which we I immediately started trying to figure out how to publish. Now it appears in Ed Greenwood's Geanavue (RumorQuest™ encounter system).

The way it works is you create scores of rumors and encounters. (If you're having trouble, just make 12 or so). You prepare them for play by placing each on a small strip of paper (just print 'em and cut 'em out). Then place in a hat on the table for random drawing. The catch is that they are somewhat related and they're not rumors like "The princess is missing." They're more like a couple hundred words in the form of snippets of conversation between a couple of people (like merchants in a bazaar, for example).

I feel like I'm rambling now, so i'll stop, but anyway, it's VERY kewl and can be done at home, but it's time consuming and takes some talent. It sure makes a city come alive, though. John turned 3 hard-core "we really don't much like towns" into "yeah! MORE! MORE!"

Dave

Someguy

First Post
I thinks it creates a better feeling of you actually being there...
Thre is a town ypou can call home, with recognizalbe faces, where everbody knows your name...

EverSoar

First Post
I think it depends. Quite often our groups splits up, thus taking a long time for turns and such, which can lead to restlessness. And also slowing the spped of the game to a crawl.

And at the same time, the possibilites of towns, allows for a lot of fun also.

omedon

First Post
You bet I do.

I wish we could play in them more but my DM's campaign seems to revlove more around the wilderness. In our last campaign I rolled up a bard. Unfortuneately the adventure started us off shipwrecked and stranded on a jungle Island. I wished I hadn't spent all my skills on gather information, diplomacy, innuendo, etc.

Oh well.

Towns are fun, cities are even funner.

towngen

First Post
Thanks so much for all the responses!

The link Olive sent is really nice too, you guys ought to check that out if you haven't already.

When I didn't get any reponses to my original post, I figured it would be for 1 of 4 reasons:

1) The GUI I posted sucked so bad it wasn't worth a comment.

2) The GUI I posted was so great it didn't need a comment.

3) I don't like playing in towns so I never looked at it and I don't care.

4) I'm too lazy/apathetic to actually look at something and comment and/or I just lurk on these boards and never post anything.

I didn't think 1 or 2 was very likely.

And it's kinda hard to ask people if 4 is true, because if it is, you won't get any answers.

So I though ... 3 I could test with this poll.

Of course, I didn't think of answer 5, people don't visit the software forum and never saw it.

So it looks like a combination of 4 and 5.

Also, I don't know if I made it clear in the readme, but I'm only going to charge very much for this if I can make the generator what I have envisioned in my head (which would take half a book to write down). If it turns out I can't devote the time/energy to this to make it "the end all/be all" of town generators, then obviously it's not reasonable to charge (~$30) for a piece of crap.

So anyway, most of my free time for the last month or so was devoted to writing this GUI. I'm not sure how long it's gonna take to make it spit out a town, but I'll try to keep people posted.

I've DM'ed enough towns now over the years to have a bunch of nifty (to me anyway) ideas to help things along. I really want to capture the FEEL of a real town, so that when you are DMing a town and are mentally exhausted from work and don't feel creative, you can still give your players something fun to play in.

Stuff like:

certain items cost more or less because of a real economic/political reason, not just because of a diplomacy check vs. an arbitrary DC to modify the price from the PHB.

Whe they ask "Ok. we look around the room. Who's in the tavern?", the DM can give a list of ACTUAL inhabitants that actually have lives, and places they work, and places they live, etc...

The program as I envision it won't actually make a map of the town, just a list of every building/area and a reasonably full description of it's occupants, what it looks like, etc... Plus, several charts of stats for people, which people go to which tavern, who are that persons friends & enemies, etc...

Well, time will tell whether I'm just full of hot air, or if I can actually pull this off.......

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads