• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you like XP costs for magic item creation?

Do you like XP costs for magic item creation?

• Yes, I do.

Votes: 59 29.5%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 141 70.5%

Ahnehnois

First Post
I see the line of thinking. You want to give PCs the power to make magic items. You want to standardize everything to give it the "toolbox" feel of 3e. You want to cost to be meaningful and permanent, but not so devastating that no one would ever do it. I think on some level it was a good idea and a nice try.

But ultimately it just feels stupid and arbitrary and flavorless. What is XP to an in-game character? What does XP loss feel like? How can characters do the complicated metagame math to determine whether or not a level will be lost, etc.?

Bottom line: no I don't like XP costs for item creation.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Dude, you just made it work for 3E and 4E. Nice.:cool:

If you know how that wiki thing works around here and want to refine it to exact number of high level spell uses for Vancian, then you know where to stick it, or use in your own game/publication. (If it works, then steal it.)

I just made up a cost that would show expended energy without permanent damage but weakened the wizard to prevent abuse of item creation.

Last edited:

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Magic items costing XP instead of a Con point (or not costing EXP at all depending on how you play it) fit 3e and 4e, is how I see it. In previous editions, it wasn't exactly "easy" to make a magical item. On the other hand, previous editions didn't have the sheer number of varied enchantments or magic items. Sure, when they cost a Con point, you didn't make many freaking items at all. But magic items were also a lot more, well, magical. That first +1 sword makes your mouth water. In comparison, that first +1 sword in 3e and 4e is expected. In the same vein, crafting a magic item in 3e and 4e isn't giving you something new and awesome, it's just giving you a shortcut to the item via your experience and time.

That said, I never found the experience cost that neccisary. Most casters would shrug while taking it because, hey, lower level means they level up faster. They're never truly left behind because of it. And artificers don't have to worry about it at all.

Thanee

First Post
Why would a caster turn himself into a +1 sword-making factory at the expense of limiting his effectiveness?

Not everyone is a power-hungry egoist? ;)

Some people actually earn their money that way?

Some guild/temple members do this as part of their duty?

Bye
Thanee

delericho

Legend
Then lose HP instead. XP is in no way a measure of "lifeforce", nor some midochlorian counter.

Except that undead drain life-force through their energy drain ability, and this is modelled by the loss of XP. Furthermore, this is not a 3e innovation, but has been present in every edition of D&D I have played (except 4e).

mattdm

First Post
power balance per level

So, here's my issue. The game assumes a certain level of wealth to correspond roughly to character level. More or less than the expected amount and game balance gets out of whack — and not in the good way.

The effect of spending XP for magic items is to simultaneously slow level gain while directly increasing wealth. This means more power than expected at a given level, making it harder for the DM to balance encounters.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Moreover, if we look at XP as getting better at what you do, then losing your skills and abilities (or rather how well you can perform those skills and abilities) means, in a nutshell, "The more magic items I create, the dumber I get", which is ridiculous. It's like suggesting that the more computers I build, the more books I write, the more magazine columns I author, the less competent I get at it.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

I don't like it but I use it anyway. I do believe that at Epic level or when creating intelligent weapons / items there should be also.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Except that undead drain life-force through their energy drain ability, and this is modelled by the loss of XP. Furthermore, this is not a 3e innovation, but has been present in every edition of D&D I have played (except 4e).

It is not my fault the game has always been flawed.

Do you die when you hit 0 XP?

No?

Then XP does not represent life force very well does it. :erm:

Remove ads