• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you make your own adventures

Do you make your own adventures?

• I write all my own adventures

Votes: 85 21.3%
  • I write most of my adventures myself

Votes: 139 34.8%
  • It's roughly 50/50

Votes: 75 18.8%
  • I mostly use published adventures

Votes: 82 20.5%
  • I always use published adventures

Votes: 19 4.8%

Arnwyn

First Post
A few years ago it was "I mostly write them myself" (even though I voraciously collected them) - nowadays, however, it's "I mostly use published adventures".

Orius

Legend
I usually just write all my own stuff. I run a homebrew world, and prewritten modules don't always fit. I do steal bits and pieces from written adventures from time to times. Usually sites or encounters I find interesting.

MetalBard

First Post
Same here

I mostly write my own adventures, but I also usually run campaigns in Forgotten Realms, so I've got a lot of source material to use in those adventures. I'll re-purpose an adventure now and then as part of a campaign arc (for those of you familiar with FR, I ran Gary Gygax's Necropolis from Necromancer Games in the lands of Mulhorand very easily as a culmination BBEG ending arc of a campaign).

Now that I have a subscription of the newly re-vamped Dungeon, my pre-written to original ratio may jump a bit :D

TeresTala

First Post
99%

I'm a 99% GM myself.... On rare occasion I will take a published adventure and, after much adaptation, adopt it. Usually, though, I scan published adventures for maps, plot hooks, ugly nasty drooly monsters, sneaky traps, and the like.

TeresTala

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
I'm also in the "50/50 on one adventure" crowd. Generally, I use published modules as a baseline, and then modify them heavily. When I ran Demon God's Fane, for example, I had to increase the power scale for my 16th level group, so I decided to still have the lich hanging around as the BBEG. Finding the lich's phylactery (also a minor relic associated with an evil Immortal) became a major part of the module. And a couple of other villains got thrown in, and the demons' tactics got more sophisticated.

And, finally, the party wasn't even going into the dungeon for the original reason, but to rescue the party paladin who had been captured and placed there by another evil entity (not the Immortal the lich served). This second entity simply hid the paladin in the opposing evil temple that he wanted the party to destroy and, viola, instant strike team.

Anyway, I think you get the idea. :] I generally have the module do the map and stats for me as a framework, then work in the overall campaign plot and PC's interests so that every module doesn't start with "ok, so you again meet in a mysterious tavern..."

RuminDange

First Post
I'd have to 80/20 myself. 80% is stuff I create,write,wing as a DM. The other 20% would the stuff beg, borrow, steal and modify from ever possible source I can get my hands on. :D
Maps are the most wonderful thing to ste..I mean borrow and modify to fit what I need even at a spur of the moment when the players do something that I wasn't actually prepared for.
I so far have found the stuff in Dungeon and maps by Phineas Crow to the be the best to work with on a spur of the moment. At least until I get CC2 Pro myself in the next month or so. Used to use CC2 and AD&D Core Rules 2.0 map program to do maps, just never reinstalled them after a hardware upgrade.

RD

When I ran Darksun in the 90's I created about 95% of my own stuff.
Forgotten Realms in 2000 was entirely my own stuff.
Darksun 2004 was 100% my own.
Strikeforce: Morituri is 100% my own
Creation Schema is different. So far it has been about 80% bought/published stories.

Usually I buy stuff and steal critters or themes from them but I prefer creating my own. Due to recent time restraits and getting a feel for Eberron, I have mainly been using published stuff. But as I have commented before, no two games run the same.

Lewy

First Post
Unfortunately I no longer have the time to write my own. The cost of having kids. I always use published now so I can maximise what little gaming time I get. It may change back again in the future as my long time scheme for creating a gaming group bears fruit (ie. my kids start to play!)

Lewis.

Doctor Bomb

First Post
NONE OF THE ABOVE

I selected "mostly use published stuff" because in the rare case that I actually run an adventure module, it is a slightly modified adventure, mostly pulled from the free stuff on the WotC website. I think I have run three different groups through Hommlet about a dozen times, in various guises.
Usually, I just gather with the group and let them run the adventure, and I take the part of global narrator/massively multiple personality NPC. Probably because my groups tend to be a little on the schitzophrenic side, and don't take to hooks well. They are as likely to leave the scene or ignore a clue as to follow up on what's provided in published modules. God forbid the peasant mob mistakes them for the bad guys. That's a lot of dead peasants. :(
Oh well. Keeps my imagination on it's toes. :D

Remove ads