• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you mark your books?

Do your mark your RPG books?

• Yes, I put my name in them.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Yes, I highlight / mark the text.

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Yes, but in non-damaging ways. (post-it notes, etc...)

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • No, I do not mark my books.

Votes: 46 47.4%

Perram

Explorer
After seeing Sean K. Reynolds' recent facebook update where he showed his most commonly referenced books (Sean K Reynolds | Facebook) I was surprised that he marked each of them on their bottoms!

And then I remembered that I hadn't marked ANY of my Pathfinder RPG books.

I used to write my name in the inside cover of each of my RPG books with a black marker.

I never, however, used a highlighter or such inside the book.

Do you guys mark your books and / or highlight them?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I don't know why I wouldn't mark my books. They're working books, not collectors items. I fully expect them to be beat all to hell by the time I'm done with them rendering any inherent value low, very very low.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Never, ever, no way.

I do have a bad habit of using the bigger hard cover books as a writing base, so they have barely visible lines and shadow text crisscrossing them, but no markings on the inside.

Perram

Explorer
Sean K Reynolds said:
Writing on the spine has three benefits. (1) I can glance at a stack of books and grab the one I need without flipping through them all to see the covers. (2) I know immediately if it's the most recent printing of the book. (3) I can identify which books are mine instead of another person's at the table. :p

This is what SKR posted about why he marked the books in my link. Obviously not all of us need to know what printing our books are like he does...

the Jester

Legend
Should be multiple choice. Can't vote- I put my name on the outside spine (across the white edge of the pages), often annotate or make notes and sometimes color or draw pictures in my books.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I received a personalized embosser with my name and initials on it when I graduated from high school a long, long time ago. It came from a music teacher who I believe intended me to use it on sheet music. However, I'm not much of a musician any more, and the embosser sat unused in a drawer for over a decade.

Then, two years ago I got into D&D. There was some confusion at the table one day about which PHB belonged to which person. This was when I remembered my embosser.

Now, all of my RPG books (and ONLY my RPG books) have an embossed seal on the first page explaining that the book is "From the library of" me. Somehow this gives me a happy feeling.

Aside from that, no, I don't mark my books.

jedavis

First Post
Nope. No way, no how. My dad tends to lightly annotate things (page numbers of other rules relevant to this section, for example) or use stickynotes, but it is not something I ever do. Especially now that I'm switching to pdf and don't want to shell out for acrobat...

Kaodi

Hero
No, I do not mark my books.

And furthermore, if anyone else marked my books, they woud be subjected to a slow and agonizing death.

SkredlitheOgre

Explorer
I don't know why I wouldn't mark my books. They're working books, not collectors items. I fully expect them to be beat all to hell by the time I'm done with them rendering any inherent value low, very very low.

This here.

In my 3.5 DMG and PHB, and now my Pathfinder Core Rulebook, I got some of those sticky flags that I can write on and have them for each section (Races, Classes, Domains, Bloodlines, Magic, Combat, etc.). It makes reference faster and since I'm the only one who has a dead tree copy of the CRB, I don't have to worry about someone else snagging my copy by accident.

Remove ads