• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

do you need a free hand to use material compenents?

silentspace

First Post
Or do they just disappear out of your component pouch? It seems like they just disappear - I can't find anywhere that says you need a free hand. Please help.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
silentspace said:
Or do they just disappear out of your component pouch? It seems like they just disappear - I can't find anywhere that says you need a free hand. Please help.

You need a free hand to cast any spell with a somatic component. I don't think there are very many (if any) spells that require material components that don't also require somatic components. (There a few that require focus but not a somatic component. Presumably you just need the focus available to you, but don't actually need to manipulated it.)

silentspace

First Post
Caliban said:
You need a free hand to cast any spell with a somatic component. I don't think there are very many (if any) spells that require material components that don't also require somatic components. (There a few that require focus but not a somatic component. Presumably you just need the focus available to you, but don't actually need to manipulated it.)

That's what I thought.

I was looking at the Runesmith's Rune Magic ability (Races of Stone). I was wondering if they can cast spells requiring material components without having a free hand.

Thanee

First Post
Well, I'd say no. :)

Retrieve a Spell Component: You can produce a spell component from your pouch while grappling by using a full-round action. Doing so does not require a successful grapple check.

This seems to imply, that you need a hand to get the material component into a "useable" state.

Bye
Thanee

Bad Paper

First Post
silentspace said:

You need to have them in your hand, or at least touching them. I've seen beholders that carry them in their mouths. Usually you just need one hand to both retrieve the item and complete the somatic component.

silentspace

First Post
Well, I can only guess that it used to be spelled out somewhere, but disappeared in a revision. As Thanee pointed out though, it can be inferred from the grappling rules.

Rudar Dimble

First Post
I'd say you need to have them in your hand, but that's just a personal point of view. I couldn't find any rule that said 'you need to have them in your hand'. :uhoh:

Bront

The man with the probe
Generaly we tend to assume you have them in a readily accessable pouch(es) of some kind, and they just sort of disapear from there. Given you don't need a free hand, that doesn't seem too unreasonable.

moritheil

First Post
Bront said:
Generaly we tend to assume you have them in a readily accessable pouch(es) of some kind, and they just sort of disapear from there. Given you don't need a free hand, that doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Am I tired, or did someone just say "Given that X is true," and conclude something in a discussion of whether or not X was true?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads