• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you only buy OGC content?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Over in the publishers forum, they're talking about the pros and cons of buying only OGC products.

For me, I buy many things, including books that have nothing to do with D&D.

Others?

Crothian

First Post
Why should I care about OGL content? In my games I'm free to use whatever I want. Sop, I base my buying habits on crsativity and usefullness.

No way.

I write this stuff for a living, and I still don't see a need to boycott material that isn't 100% open to my professional plundering.

I like open content, and appreciate 100% open content, but by no means demand it.

Patrick Y.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Keeper of Secrets said:
Why limit yourself to only OGC?

If you publish it makes sense. If you write it makes sense. If you don't, I'm a little curious why someone would bother.

That is like only drinking one kind of wine or eating exclusively at one restaurant.

But I fear change.....

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
What I like

JoeGKushner said:
Over in the publishers forum, they're talking about the pros and cons of buying only OGC products.

For me, I buy many things, including books that have nothing to do with D&D.

Others?

As a gamer, I don't bother with the OGC declaration. A work being 100% open does not make a book more or less useful to me.

As a freelancer, keeping up with the OGC development has a small influence on what I buy. But since OGC often is declared in a manner that I cannot understand what is and isn't open, and because publishers are saying "yes it is 100% open, but ...", the amount of OGC is really irrelevant anyways. Might as well invent the wheel again myself, takes less time.

So, amount of OGC does not in any significant amount matter to me when deciding on what to buy.

Right now, I buy D&D stuff and WFRP stuff.

/M

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Absolutely not. I buy what I think I'll like. I don't care about what licenses are or are not used.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
I'll look closer at a product with a lot of OGC material but if it's something I'm interested in that doesn't matter. If it did I'd stop buying books from WotC (since their material is all* closed) and several other companies (with OGC declarations that leave me scratching my head).

* Okay, not all. But close enough.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I could care less if something is OGC or not. I'm not a publisher. I can use anything I want to in my games, open content or not, d20 system or not (GURPS isn't open content, and I use GURPS sourcebooks all the time, for example).

I think if more people in the RPG community would just recognize that they aren't publishers, there would be a lot less wasted bandwith on the subject, especially from those who have no vested interest, or even the legal expertise to even understand what the licenses mean.

Remove ads