D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 240 54.8%
  • Nope

Votes: 198 45.2%

Isn't it normally considered to be a bad thing to deliberately shut down your PC's abilities in such a way "just because"?

This sub-thread started with the idea of taking the PCs to a place where their feature doesn't work because of the demands of the adventure--such as whisking them to Ravenloft for Curse of Strahd and not mentioning ahead of time that such a feature would not be useful for them.

Or they can leave the group. The social contract goes both ways, and a flat out "no, because I said so" is not going to be a satisfying answer for a lot of players. Especially when a "yes" can be achieved with just a bit of thought on the DM's part--and because to me, at least, a flat "no" sounds very rail-roady.

Why doesn't the DM want the PC to work for their passage? Would the DM be OK with the PC buying a ticket? Why is having the players spend a few gold versus a free ride that important to the DM? Do they Just not want to run a nautical side-adventure? Is the DM going to allow for a roll (with a reasonable DC and not a "roll a 21 on an unmodified d20 bs)? If the PC is a sailor, then why can't they use their knowledge of sailing to their advantage when asking for passage? Even if it's not an automatic success, that should be worth something on a die roll.

But to hear from some people on this thread, even that is so illogical to be magical in origin, and anyone who suggests otherwise is a rules lawyer.
Its bad form to shut down features "just because", but if its a very established world and the group tends to run off DM fiat more than collaborative contribution, then there may be areas that have already been established as completely isolated, or antimagic, or whatever situation will disable that character's background, class or racial feature.
I have no idea why a DM might want to do this in any particular situation: This is not a situation that will likely come up for me given the increasingly extreme hypothetical situations and nitpickery both sides of this debate have clagged up what was previously a quite interesting thread with.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Exactly. This is why those backgrounds need to go the way of the dodo. Where we are back at my first post.
This response doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I know this thread of the conversation has been stretched out over many days, so maybe a brief recap is in order:
  • On April 7, you proposed the abilities granted by the background features be removed from the player-facing backgrounds and inserted into DM-facing adventure texts.
  • On April 15, I asked how, if your proposed arrangement, in which no handles are provided to the player in the background, was implemented, would a player then use their background in play.
  • You replied, "That is the point, he does not", which I took to mean the player simply doesn't use the background.
  • On April 21, I asked what's the point in a player having a background they don't use, meaning the type of background you proposed with no handles for the player.
  • Then I got the above quoted response from you.
It's puzzling because you seem to be saying the type of background you proposed, that has no way for a player to use it, should go extinct, which can't be right, so I think something must have gotten lost somewhere.

Ok. Then I misremembered. Why exactly should the coffinmaker no on knows help them?
Well, you said it yourself in your adventure text description, "Because he knows how it is to be looked at by higher people".

Maybe because the coffinmaker's backstory is outlined in the adventure.

During their escape from the town guards they stumble by a wretched coffinmaker. If the adventurers look like common folk, he will quickly let them into their house and gives them some place to rest.

Makes a lot more sense than: "Hey, random person, you look exactly like the hero who chased the tax collector away after the bad winter in a village on a different plane of existence. This tale has travelled far and is an inspiration to every commoner in the whole multiverse."
Yeah, it's a fine explanation for the folk hero's background doing something, much better than the parody version, but how does the player of the folk hero know the coffinmaker will be helpful towards their character as opposed to the player of, e.g., the noble, or is this supposed to be a blind choice on the part of the players?

Oh no, my friend you need to playtest this. That is not at all how the new monk plays out. At least watch someone else's playtest. The biggest issue with the new monk is it's more powerful than the other marshal classes. Not too weak!
Then explain to me why every one of my points is wrong. I am open to arguments, but I don't think basing your idea of how does a Monk play on a specific player's experience just because they streamed, and had good time tells us anything more than what that particular table is doing.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Then explain to me why every one of my points is wrong. I am open to arguments, but I don't think basing your idea of how does a Monk play on a specific player's experience just because they streamed, and had good time tells us anything more than what that particular table is doing.
You're white rooming it, and so in deep with white rooming it you want me to white room respond to your white room points.

Playtest it, or watch someone else's playtest. Trust me. If you don't think what you see is convincing, OK not much more than a few minutes lots right?

Here's one for example but it's far from the only one. Just about every playtest discovers it's far more powerful than they thought by just reading it. In fact, quite possibly overpowered.

This response doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I know this thread of the conversation has been stretched out over many days, so maybe a brief recap is in order:
  • On April 7, you proposed the abilities granted by the background features be removed from the player-facing backgrounds and inserted into DM-facing adventure texts.
  • On April 15, I asked how, if your proposed arrangement, in which no handles are provided to the player in the background, was implemented, would a player then use their background in play.
  • You replied, "That is the point, he does not", which I took to mean the player simply doesn't use the background.
  • On April 21, I asked what's the point in a player having a background they don't use, meaning the type of background you proposed with no handles for the player.
  • Then I got the above quoted response from you.
It's puzzling because you seem to be saying the type of background you proposed, that has no way for a player to use it, should go extinct, which can't be right, so I think something must have gotten lost somewhere.

Well, you said it yourself in your adventure text description, "Because he knows how it is to be looked at by higher people".

Yeah, it's a fine explanation for the folk hero's background doing something, much better than the parody version, but how does the player of the folk hero know the coffinmaker will be helpful towards their character as opposed to the player of, e.g., the noble, or is this supposed to be a blind choice on the part of the players?
I am puzzled by your response. I was consistent in saying the background features need to be removed from the PHB. I said instead there should be hooks for backgrounds in the adventure.

The player does not need to know that the coffinmaker is helpful. But the DM does, because it is part of the adventure.

The choice of the player is the same as always. They try to find help. And it does not matter if they are actually commoners or not. If they look like commoners, then the coffinmaker will be helpful.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I am puzzled by your response. I was consistent in saying the background features need to be removed from the PHB. I said instead there should be hooks for backgrounds in the adventure.

The player does not need to know that the coffinmaker is helpful. But the DM does, because it is part of the adventure.
That's definitely a better way of handling it.

Remove ads