• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 259 53.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 227 46.7%

Clint_L

Hero
I'd rate them as follows (out of 5):

Golden Vault: 3.5 - handier as a bunch of standalone heist adventures than as a campaign, but that's what I like.

Bigby's: 3. More monsters are nice, but it's hardly essential.

Planescape: 2. Not for me.

Shattered Obelisk: 3. The starter campaign is great, but you can hardly give them credit for that. The extended campaign is a weird psionic-themed mess and I don't like it.

Many Things: 4. This was the most pleasant surprise for me, with lots of stuff that can incorporate into most campaigns, and thematic links that go back to early D&D. Love it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Golden Vault: 3.5 - handier as a bunch of standalone heist adventures than as a campaign, but that's what I like.
Yeah, small targeted modules are always welcome.
Bigby's: 3. More monsters are nice, but it's hardly essential.
Though the Mosnter stat blocks are nice, the pre-built Encounters placed on nice random tables, the magic items, the maps (sweet, sweet mini modules), and roleplaying stuff are absolutely awesome. So much in this book about to use Giants as NPCs and allie, not just sacks of HP to kill (though also nice amounts of that). Right up my alley, lots of usable stuff here.
Planescape: 2. Not for me.
More than fair, but from a prodict quality level they did being it here. Turn of Fortune's Wheel is some wild stuff, and unlike Spwlljammer the Outlands and Sigil are adequately described for building a campaign.
Shattered Obelisk: 3. The starter campaign is great, but you can hardly give them credit for that. The extended campaign is a weird psionic-themed mess and I don't like it.
Lost Mines is an all-time great, the additional stuff is decent. Lots of usable maps, includding a dungeon shaped like a brain, so that is a plus. Some weird editing mistakes, but overall quite usable.
Many Things: 4. This was the most pleasant surprise for me, with lots of stuff that can incorporate into most campaigns, and thematic links that go back to early D&D. Love it.
Stonecold might be one of the better books from the entire decade.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I would contest that: they released 5 books in the last year, 5 of which were total bangers (Keys to the Golden Vault, Bigby's, Planescape, and the Book of Many Things) and even the Shattered Obelisk was more good than bad. I'd put that positively against any other year of 5E, though 2019 is probably my favorite slate of books overall.

Mmm... Maybe. I don't actually think that anything is particularly bad (and you do name some decent books). In addition, there's always been problems with very nearly every adventure - by which I mean that there are things that could be better, things that the community legitimately complains about (even if you discount all the illegitimate complaints). However, I've had the general feeling that there's been more legitimate complaints lately.

Either way, it's hard to objectify. I think there's a vague consensus that things aren't at their best at the moment, even if you (or I) enjoy most of the current content. It's more the feeling that I get from the overall zeitgeist rather than my own opinion of recent releases. YMMV.

Oofta

Legend
What you typically do at your table is not typical of play in general.

Most published modules would disagree with you. The majority of ones I've played in or looked at take you far from home, several of them while you are still level 1 or 2.

The background feature, Criminal Contact, doesn't say your contact is always present in the same city where you happen to be. I can see why you might think that would be stupid, but that's not what it says. It says you know how to get messages to and from them "even over great distances" which it sounds like are involved if you're in a city of which you've never heard. Surely, the PCs aren't the only contact between where the criminal contact is located and this distant city where they happen to be at the moment. I think that would be stupid.

I never said the PC had a criminal contact in any city they were in, my player did. But I still disagree that you can always get word to them. You've been in port for half an hour, how does that happen? Go to the local Criminals-R-Us and send a telegram? What if you're playing Tomb of Annihilation where you rarely interact with any humanoids who aren't trying to kill you, I don't see how you're getting a message to anyone. Train a parrot?

Why wouldn't they? As they say, breeding recognizes breeding.

A noble is just a person with a title, there's nothing special or magical about them. I don't believe in the divine right of rulers. Historically many members of royal families were quite inbred and unhealthy.

Why, do you think no one ever sent messages? You don't have to be notorious to send someone a message. Neither should getting a response rely on there being a world wide broadcast. The feature contains suggestions of what the means might be of sending and receiving messages if the table is having trouble coming up with ideas of their own.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I was talking about the charlatan fake identity feature being largely pointless in an area where no one would recognize you in the first place. In addition almost all the features rely on being easily recognized and associated to some social standing or "knowing someone". That doesn't work if you travel outside of your sphere of influence.

I'm not sure what you're saying is not automatic. Assuming you're talking about the Entertainer background in the PHB, By Popular Demand says you can find a place to perform. Surely, that's what entertainers do - go to different cities in some of which no one's ever heard of them and do performances there. I don't think it's a stretch they could get free room and board from the venues in exchange for their nightly performances. Most taverns like to have entertainment because it brings in customers. It also says once you've performed in a place, you become somewhat of a local figure there, but at that point it's no longer a city that's never heard of you, so I'm not sure what you're saying here.

If some pop singer went to an area dominated by (random genre here) the blues, why do you think they could automatically get a gig? Is someone who is a concert pianist going to automatically find a job at a place where there are only dive bars? If you're playing Descent into Avernus you may be having a devil of a time, but I doubt your performance skills are ever going to get you a night at the local hot spot in Avernus.

I'm sure they appreciate you being upfront with them.

Backgrounds and how important they are, whether they can be a part of the bigger story is something I think should be discussed in the session 0. I just had someone join saying they wanted to play a failed apprentice (had studied under a wizard, became a druid) so we figured out a story that makes sense and may play a bigger part in the ongoing campaign. I say may, because it's up to the group what they pursue.

Some people care about backgrounds, some don't. Most of the time it's been my experience that it's just a way to get a few extra proficiencies.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Mmm... Maybe. I don't actually think that anything is particularly bad (and you do name some decent books). In addition, there's always been problems with very nearly every adventure - by which I mean that there are things that could be better, things that the community legitimately complains about (even if you discount all the illegitimate complaints). However, I've had the general feeling that there's been more legitimate complaints lately.

Either way, it's hard to objectify. I think there's a vague consensus that things aren't at their best at the moment, even if you (or I) enjoy most of the current content. It's more the feeling that I get from the overall zeitgeist rather than my own opinion of recent releases. YMMV.
I would agree that there is a negative vibe in online discussions the last couple of years. The forumite "zeitgeist", but that doesn't seem to hold up when Iooking at the actual products themselves the last couple of years, or look at their sales numbers in the slices of data that are available.

Kurotowa

Legend
Early on, I was excited for 5e Backgrounds. "Heck yeah, they're a third axis of character customization, along with race and class. That's great." But as time went on I grew less enamored with them. The unique Features were poorly defined and almost never came up in play. I'd find myself either shopping for the Background that had the Skill package I wanted, and come up with a way to justify it after the fact, or taking a Background for the flavor value and having extraneous Skill or Tool proficiencies that didn't really fit. They grew to feel more confining than inspiring.

Of course, the truth is that we were never meant to be straightjacketed by the published Backgrounds. Right there on PHB p125 it says you can customize the Background if you want. But that's a "Mother may I?" design, and may people (including me) fell into the habit of trying to jam in an existing Background rather than tweak an existing one.

So I'm totally fine with the Revised playtest setup where the Features are removed, making a custom Background the expectation rather than an exception. Admittedly I've only been mocking up test characters so far, but it's been nice to be able to just pick the traits I want rather than having to shop around for the pre-built package that comes closest to it. I don't think the loss of the Background Features is anything I'll miss, or that couldn't be achieved through roleplay and Skill use nine times out of ten.

ETA: And it's not like you're losing the Background unique trait. You're just getting to pick a Background Feat instead of a Background Feature. And those are so much better. Your Acolyte can have Magic Initiate (Cleric) to show a minor amount of divine magic investment, or Healer for training in the medical field, or Tough if you're in the temple guard career path. That's just plain better, IMO.

Remove ads