• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 259 53.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 225 46.5%

mamba

Legend
There's no range limit, there's no percentage chance, nothing. Why? Because people don't have to recognize you as a specific person. They just have to recognize you as a character archetype.
so they do that for any commoner, you being a folk hero does not really matter?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
You people all realize that the 5E24 Player's Handbook has already been written and thus arguing what should or shouldn't be features for Backgrounds is completely irrelevant now, right? The argument you all have been having for the past several weeks is resulting in nothing. :)
You think anyone here is looking for results? We're lucky if a single person on any side of any argument shifts from a position that is dialed to 11 to one that is dialed to 10.5.

Oofta

Legend
Since most of the backgrounds do not actually require you to be recognized as an individual--only as a person who belongs to a specific social group--you are, once again, reading the backgrounds wrong.

To compare, take a look at the Athlete from Mythic Odysseys of Theros:

See that? That gives a range and a chance that someone actually recognizes you as a specific person.

Other backgrounds, such as the folk hero, do not have that limitation:

There's no range limit, there's no percentage chance, nothing. Why? Because people don't have to recognize you as a specific person. They just have to recognize you as a character archetype.

And indeed, the entire purpose of the background was that this is something you did before you were an adventurer, you are assumed to have given up that life in order to become an adventurer. A folk hero stays in their village and either lives off their fame or continues to do heroic things for their village. You don't do that--you have left the village and that lifestyle behind.

Again: I don't care what you do at your table. But you are declaring the backgrounds to be objectively bad, and you are doing so based on incorrect information.

So hey! Why not say what your "more likely usage" would be? In all this time, I don't think you've ever explained how you actually have replaced these features.

But the point I was making is, you specifically said "mother may I" with a DM was bad. But if I were your player, I'd have no idea what you would allow and disallow. How am I supposed to know what you would decide is illogical? Do you have a list of things you disallow and a promise that you're not going to add to willy-nilly? Or would I have to always worry you're going to remove or nerf an ability?

You can take your one true way and sho...umm ... play the game any way you like. Meanwhile my style of gaming works just fine for me and the multiple groups I DM for.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think the idea is that they'd do it for any commoner that has the je ne sais quoi that comes from having been a folk hero. What that je ne sais quoi IS would depend on the individual character, but it probably would correspond to one of your ability scores and/or skills.

Before you say, "so they do it for anyone with a 16 Wisdom or an Athletics of +5?" Not quite - it's in combination with being that impressive and yet of the common people. The rustic charm that is used in the description.

AND you have the air of having whatever experience you had that made you a "hero" where you come from, whatever that is (again, presumably you'd come up with some kind of story about it? Examples are always hard to give and easy to refute, because it's very complicated - it depends on who the individual character is as a whole. Backstory/Race/Class/Chosen Skills/Chosen Feats/Campaign World/Who exactly the NPC is/What has happened so far in the game/etc.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
You can take your one true way and sho...umm ... play the game any way you like. Meanwhile my style of gaming works just fine for me and the multiple groups I DM for.
Once again, I will put forward: Faolyn isn't trying to tell you how to play any more than you are trying to tell her how to play. She's defending the reasons she does things differently than you, just like you're doing. In other words, you both equally "appear" to be saying that your way is right, correct and perfect and that all other ways are wrong, foolish, and mistaken.

Obviously neither of you mean that, while both of you appear to. It's the way of the internet.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Commoners are going to stick together and help each other out. The folk hero background lets other commoners know that you, too, come from commoner roots. Thus, they are going to help you.

Other backgrounds don't have that feature, meaning that you won't seem to have commoner roots. It doesn't matter if you were born as a commoner, if you took the sage or outlander background (for example), it means you have become fully absorbed into the sage or outlander lifestyle, so anything left over from your commoner roots have been overwhelmed.

Much like how, since I left New York when I was 9 to move to the Mid Atlantic region, it doesn't matter that I still fold my pizza and say "Lawn Guyland"--that's been overwhelmed by the Old Bay Seasoning in my cupboard and the way I say "Bawlmer."

So yes, commoners will help each other out. No, being a folk hero does matter.

(And no, the Commoner trait isn't in the Commoner statblock. Neither are any racial traits or stat bonuses. NPCs aren't built like PCs.)

Faolyn

(she/her)
You people all realize that the 5E24 Player's Handbook has already been written and thus arguing what should or shouldn't be features for Backgrounds is completely irrelevant now, right? The argument you all have been having for the past several weeks is resulting in nothing. :)
According to the survey, almost half the people on this particular forum or thread aren't moving to '24. We can probably extrapolate that to mean "a fair number of people in the general gaming population won't be moving to '24."

So this is only irrelevant to those people who are moving to '24.

Remove ads