• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 258 53.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 224 46.5%

I'm not. I'm asking why you think the new WotC 5e books have the best class design.
I'm comparing some of the classes side by side with UA and I find that the 5.2 classes are more interesting then the Tales of the Valiant classes. Rogue, Barbarian, Monk, and Sorcerer are all, IMO, a step above what TotV presented. This is because 5.2 seems to be prioritizing giving players a limited pool of new things to do with each class that enhances the class fantasy while improving the mechanical feel of the classes. Meanwhile, on average, TotV stayed a lot closer to 5.0, which has some of my least favorite class design. I also don't like a number of the subclass concepts; Wizard's "Cantrip Adept" doesn't feel like it has a story to me, for example.

It isn't all sour grapes though. The Fighter and Wizard (despite the Cantrip Adept subclass) are both fantastic in TotV; the bard is good as well. I also prefer TotV's talents to 5.2's feats, and I like the lineage + heritage system, though that's becoming commonplace in a lot of D&D spin off games.

Ultimately, I can't see myself playing or enjoying a number of TotV classes. I don't mean to speak down on the whole game, and I'm still taking things from the SRD to use.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Sorry, I may be confusing you with the fifteen other people who keep telling me to change how I want the game to go. See, from my perspective, this is what I see:

Me: The game would be improved if it was run at a faster pace since many games end before a satisfactory conclusion.
Response 1 - No, you're wrong. The journey is the reward and you should just be happy with what you got.
Response 2 - No, you're wrong. You just want to go from combat to combat, and not do any role play.
Response 3 - No, you're wrong. Nothing that ever happens in an RPG is ever a waste of time.
Response 4 - No, you're wrong. Gaming is about "emergent" stories. Totally different from authored stories.
See, I'm not saying you're wrong for your emotions. I'm saying you would very likely be happier if you tried to move away from the idea that a game must complete to be fun.

Or, as others have suggested (here and on that other thread of yours), you need to switch to an episodic format rather than an overarching campaign. Since your long campaigns never work out for you, shorter ones might.

At no point does anyone say, "Hey, Y'know what? Maybe if we tightened the campaign up a bit, stripped out those sessions where we "didn't get any closer to ... saving the day", we might, just maybe, actually have a complete campaign. But, no. Instead, I have everyone tripping over themselves to tell me how wrong I am for wanting DM's to maybe skip a few things, just so we DO get closer to saving the day. Because, for me, a session where we didn't get closer? That's a total waste of time because it means we're one more step closer to the campaign failing.
OK, this is where you're wrong: How do you know that what you're doing, while you're doing it, isn't taking you any closer to the actual plot?

Example: In one of my games, we reached a new city and were heading for the inn so we could then go to the next step, which was heading to a specific temple, which was a necessary point in the overall quest. We're getting the town's flavor text, as per usual, and, well, I can't remember the exact order of things but one Perception check later my character spots a fortune teller's stand. My character has had some interesting experiences with fortune tellers before and I was usually on the lookout for one. And after a brief argument with the other players (one of the players... well, you know how never splitting the party leads to jokes about everyone going to the bathroom together? He's that kind of player), I slipped away and went to see the fortune teller. Thank goodness for a high Stealth score.

A big waste of time, I'm sure you'd say. The fortune teller had nothing to do with the temple, after all, or with what we knew the plot to be at that point. Strip it out; the game's better without it, right?

WRONG!

The fortune teller had legitimate info. Because I decided to ignore the "actual" plot and do something purely for roleplay reasons, I learned information that was both very useful for personal reasons and information about an upcoming major event that could have taken us by surprise otherwise. We may have learned that same information later on, if I hadn't chosen to go to the fortune teller--but now we had advanced knowledge.

And this keeps happening in our game. We shop or go to the inn, talk to the shopkeeper or smith or barkeep, and learn something important, either for a personal goal for the campaign's goal and we gain allies and/or useful equipment that will help us in the long run. I'm pretty sure that every single magic item I have (other than consumables) is something I've gotten by doing something you would consider a waste of time--but every one of those items has been either very important or very useful.

So that's my question. How do you know that the events you are going through aren't actually important?

If the answer is "experience," that you've never had those events actually be important in your games, then the answer is that when you DM, make those events be important. Pre-written adventures rarely take these things into consideration, if only because that would end up making the book too long, so you need to add them in. There's probably dozens of generators online that can help if you don't have the time. Heck, depending on how you feel about AI, you could even use ChatGPT or something similar to help.

I mean, FFS, our Ravenloft campaign ended in the middle of a freaking combat. The DM just vanished into the ether and never came back. Real life stepped on him hard. I get that. But, poof. Campaign gone. No warning. No word. Just showed up for the game next week and... no DM. Our recent Avernus campaign ended while crossing a bridge. We'd resolved nothing. I'm not talking about campaigns trailing off because the DM wants to move on to something else, so, we've kinda sorta come to a conclusion (although that's common enough too). I'm talking about how the campagn ends three sentences after the Ring Wraiths stab Frodo.
This is a completely different thing, though. Whether the DM has something major happen to them or they just ghost because they're a jerk or a flake, that has nothing to do with spending time doing "unimportant" things in the game itself. Even if you had stripped out every single option until you had the most linear, railroaded adventure possible, the DM still would have left, with the only difference being that you might have been one session away from the end instead of ten sessions.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
We get into way, WAY too many arguments here on ENWorld over whether or not one or the other of a writer or a responder understands that any given statement is an opinion or a universal statement.

I think we'd all be a lot happier if we were able to respect each other enough to assume that everyone knows that the thing that they just wrote is their own opinion, without having to spell it out in minute detail.

(Of course, now I worry that my above statement will come across as "condescending", "lecture-y", or "wagging (my) finger" - when I just mean it as, "I'm going to try to do this thing - join me if you like!"
Probably every thread should have a disclaimer. "It is assumed that all statements made by posters found in this thread are, in fact, their personal opinions unless chapter and verse be provided to prove that they are facts."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
And that’s great for you.

Why are you telling me to adjust my goals though? Why shouldn’t we simply play where my goals are achieved in the time we have?

You keep insisting that this is a combat thing. That’s not it at all. An entire session with no die rolls? Fantastic. Great.

An entire session spent on pointless faffing about and not moving forward? No thanks.

You’re happy. Great. I’m not. So instead of telling me to play like you play, why not, perhaps, pretend that your one true way isn’t the one true way for everyone?
To be fair to those that are seeming to argue with your premise (and might wind up looking like they're telling you how to play), you HAVE given the impression that you don't like Exploration at all or Social Interaction at all. I understand that it's not what you mean to be saying, and I actually agree with the thrust of your reasoning. However, it seems on the surface like you want to cut out two of the three pillars, and that's why Combat is what people are left with imagining that you're advocating for.

It's taken quite a few of your posts for me to come to an understanding that (I think) you are just meaning to say that you want play to stick to to the important stuff as much as is possible (and reasonable) - maybe further in that direction than many of us would go, but it's pretty understandable under the circumstances.

My F2F "Tuesday Nighters" are not all that different. We only have about 2 hours to play, and we spend too much of it drinking and talking politics, so we tend to "cut to the chase" - which doesn't mean Combat, but it does mean "Important Plot Elements". Which might include Travel or Chatting With NPCs.

We'll try to throw in Flavour (especially character moments) as we go, and we've even developed a style where the other players will often make suggestions on how any given PC might react (the Player has the final say, but might just nod and say, "like that"). But it's an unusual group and we've been playing together since 2008, so there's a LOT of trust built up.

But we've finished a lot of campaigns! But then, we use that style to get through them quickly.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Probably every thread should have a disclaimer. "It is assumed that all statements made by posters found in this thread are, in fact, their personal opinions unless chapter and verse be provided to prove that they are facts."
After screwing up and ruffling feathers in this very thread a did two posts that I ended with a little sign-off along those lines, but it was responded to as if I was somehow insulting other players by pointing out that I wasn't trying to insult other players. Sometimes you just can't get ahead. I was honestly scared to post at all for a little while!

Internet communication is so difficult that you can post "I really care how you feel" and have it read as "I reeeaaaallly 'care' how YOU feeeel" (with dripping sarcasm and rolling eyes).

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
After screwing up and ruffling feathers in this very thread a did two posts that I ended with a little sign-off along those lines, but it was responded to as if I was somehow insulting other players by pointing out that I wasn't trying to insult other players. Sometimes you just can't get ahead. I was honestly scared to post at all for a little while!

Internet communication is so difficult that you can post "I really care how you feel" and have it read as "I reeeaaaallly 'care' how YOU feeeel" (with dripping sarcasm and rolling eyes).
In my own experience, you can work towards a posting style that just naturally includes "this is just my perspective" caveating without having to be totally awkward about it. I include phrases like "seems like", "I think that", or "this feels like" in a LOT of my posts, and it feels pretty natural at this point.

If your own posting style leans towards more firm, declarative statements, I can respect that, but it will probably cause some pushback from time to time.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
In my own experience, you can work towards a posting style that just naturally includes "this is just my perspective" caveating without having to be totally awkward about it. I include phrases like "seems like", "I think that", or "this feels like" in a LOT of my posts, and it feels pretty natural at this point.

If your own posting style leans towards more firm, declarative statements, I can respect that, but it will probably cause some pushback from time to time.
I feel like I DO include a lot of caveating and don't make a lot of firm declarative statements. Sometimes the more "meek" I get, the more pushback I get. I assume that I must not be coming across as sincere. I think I might start a thread on it, in order to leave this one so that it doesn't have yet another tangent.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I feel like I DO include a lot of caveating and don't make a lot of firm declarative statements. Sometimes the more "meek" I get, the more pushback I get. I assume that I must not be coming across as sincere. I think I might start a thread on it, in order to leave this one so that it doesn't have yet another tangent.
We certainly wouldn't want a thread at 3200+ posts to lose focus! :)

Faolyn

(she/her)
The noble doesn't necessarily have any supernatural meaning in D&D based on how you interpret the wording (bold added) "You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to."

Is the local noble local to where your PC originated or local to wherever you are? To me the logical reading is the former, it has to be a noble local to where the PC is from because those nobles actually care about that particular noble family. If it's the latter, local to wherever you are, then "local" is not needed at all and superfluous.
Whereas to me, the logical reading is "local to where you are." Otherwise it would read something like "local to your home area."

In other words, if you're in Waterdeep, you're not going to be able to secure a meeting with the Lord of Neverwinter. Just like if you're in Waterdeep, you know Jonny Three-Toes, a messenger who lives in Waterdeep; you're not going to run into your old friend Bomvh, a messenger who lives in Neverwinter.

in my experience, meekness AND firmness are both bad, bc they're both downstream of "have sufficient real-life Charisma".

Remove ads