• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

Oofta

Legend
I'm not sure what you mean by "always work" or what in my posts inspired this question.

That's kind of my point. If there are "blank spaces" that haven't been filled with enumerated details, what's wrong with letting the player add something?

Avoiding the whole "know someone" part of your statement, they'll be able to secure free passage if the player says they do. The exception would be when you don't need to. That, and that it isn't 100% certain to meet every need. The spirit is, you'll get free passage for the party when it matters to get to the place you need to go.

Yep, we disagree. One line of text isn't going to override how I approach D&D as a player or DM. I'm not going to argue about the rest.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Wow. It's interesting to see how many people played in groups with only a few having books. My experience over the last 40 years has been that almost everyone has the books. In every group I played in, either we all had the core books, or the vast majority of us did. I wonder if it's a geographical thing.

Sometimes we'd get people, usually new people, that didn't have the books. If they loved theAnd
And yet, you're the one who thinks the books are expensive! :p

Guess you Californians are as privileged as we all imagine you to be! ;)

Oofta

Legend
I kinda feel like this ought to be the last word on the subject!

I know that you've meant for it to be your last for a billion posts or so (I think that's only a slight hyperbole).

"Just when I thought I was out, they keep dragging me back in!"

I know, bad habit of replying to people who directly ask me questions. :unsure:

As far as this post, it was in response to a post that stated something quite clearly. Some people desire the ability of players to control the fiction of the world during the game (in a way that happens nowhere else) outside of what their player says or does. It's a strange hill to die on if you ask me, but at least it's an identifiable hill.

CellarHeroes

Explorer
Wow. It's interesting to see how many people played in groups with only a few having books. My experience over the last 40 years has been that almost everyone has the books. In every group I played in, either we all had the core books, or the vast majority of us did. I wonder if it's a geographical thing.

Sometimes we'd get people, usually new people, that didn't have the books. If they loved the game and stuck with it, though, they ran out and bought the core books(or at least the PHB). Then there have been a bunch over the years who leave their books at home since there will be multiple copies at the table that they can use.
At nearly every table I've either GM'd or played at, it was expected that everyone had their own books. The only exception was, as you stated, if you were new to the game, but it wasn't long after (if you enjoyed it) that you'd pick up your own book(s).

The majority of my GM'ing experience, though, has been running at game stores, trying to promote various RPGs to help move them off shelves.

It wasn't until the last two groups that I played in where I first encountered being the only person at the table with books or access to books. Heck, even dice were scarce.

So, I don't think it's a regional thing. :)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
At nearly every table I've either GM'd or played at, it was expected that everyone had their own books. The only exception was, as you stated, if you were new to the game, but it wasn't long after (if you enjoyed it) that you'd pick up your own book(s).

The majority of my GM'ing experience, though, has been running at game stores, trying to promote various RPGs to help move them off shelves.

It wasn't until the last two groups that I played in where I first encountered being the only person at the table with books or access to books. Heck, even dice were scarce.

So, I don't think it's a regional thing. :)
I own and run games at an FLGS and I've never really cared if people own their own books. I mean, I'd like them to buy books, but that's up to them. OTOH, I absolutely want everyone to have their own dice. I'll lend a total newbie a set, but they better get their own if they want to keep playing. It's not a big expense.

I care more about their characters being complete though. If they can't "finish" a character, then they better pick one of my pregens where I finish it for them.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And yet, you're the one who thinks the books are expensive! :p

Guess you Californians are as privileged as we all imagine you to be! ;)
I'm just saying buying power is down right now. Everyone I know, and no one I know is poor, has scaled back on trips, movies, eating out, etc. because everything has gotten so expensive. Especially food.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm just saying buying power is down right now. Everyone I know, and no one I know is poor, has scaled back on trips, movies, eating out, etc. because everything has gotten so expensive. Especially food.
I feel ya. My God but eating out is expensive now. My family of 4 cannot do it under a hundred dollars at a middling restaurant and my wife and I ALWAYS share our entre! I mean, we can get Sushi or Fast Food, but that's still something like $60 at least. My weekly groceries are around $300. Pre-pandemic it was under $200. And I could get myself lunch (with a beer) for $15.

Oofta

Legend
That doesn't necessarily mean they won't buy a book or three though. Going out for dinner and a movie is more money than a book that will give you hours if entertainment instead of a few hours. Throw in the price for 2, drinks and snacks at the movie and you likely spent as much as the core 3 books.

The cost of recreational activities is always going to be relative to the cost of other recreational activities you may also enjoy. D&D is a luxury expense, but in comparison to many other activities relatively cheap.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That doesn't necessarily mean they won't buy a book or three though. Going out for dinner and a movie is more money than a book that will give you hours if entertainment instead of a few hours. Throw in the price for 2, drinks and snacks at the movie and you likely spent as much as the core 3 books.

The cost of recreational activities is always going to be relative to the cost of other recreational activities you may also enjoy. D&D is a luxury expense, but in comparison to many other activities relatively cheap.
Sure. All I'm saying is that when you are cutting back because buying power is down, D&D will be the decision to cut for some percentage of people who would otherwise have bought the books. It will also be the decision to buy over movies or concerts or something for some percentage of people who would otherwise have also done those other things.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads