• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 231 46.9%

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Asked and answered in the post you quoted. It's only binary so long as one side absolutely insists that it is. Which is the definition of not compromising. 🤷 If your definition of compromise is that only one side can ever "win" or get their way, that's not a definition of compromise that anyone else is using. Again, this is why your conversation has ground to a screeching halt. You are insisting on using a definition of compromise that isn't how anyone else is using it.
countable] an agreement made between two people or groups in which each side gives up some of the things they want so that both sides are happy at the end

The example player is not giving up anything they have to give and is the only one walking away happy in the end.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It can only be binary if the DM insists on it being binary. Partial exceptions(compromise) can be made if the DM is open to it. That's what you are not seeing.
My assumption is that the choice is strictly between one version of RAW or the other, for whatever element is in question - in other words, which book are we using if-when we have to look this up. Any resolution other than "this version" or "that version" gets into houseruling, which is fine but is also outside the assumed framework.

Hussar

Legend
countable] an agreement made between two people or groups in which each side gives up some of the things they want so that both sides are happy at the end

The example player is not giving up anything they have to give and is the only one walking away happy in the end.
I'm assuming that means compromise.

Yes the player is giving up several things - he is not getting everything he wants, only some. It's only the fact that you are absolutely refusing to budge from the idea that there can be only two elements in the discussion.

Hussar

Legend
My assumption is that the choice is strictly between one version of RAW or the other, for whatever element is in question - in other words, which book are we using if-when we have to look this up. Any resolution other than "this version" or "that version" gets into houseruling, which is fine but is also outside the assumed framework.
And if building a campaign and a social contract for a group only ever came down to one single instance of choosing between two points, then I'd agree with you. However, most campaigns, from character creation on forward, are a series of conversations between the players and the DM, meaning that it is almost never a simple binary.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm assuming that means compromise.

Yes the player is giving up several things - he is not getting everything he wants, only some. It's only the fact that you are absolutely refusing to budge from the idea that there can be only two elements in the discussion.
No. When I pointed out the unreasonable problems caused for the GM by house ruling a mix n match edition I got told that it's not for me to decide because there was some form of compromise or those problems are simply ignored.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
And if building a campaign and a social contract for a group only ever came down to one single instance of choosing between two points, then I'd agree with you. However, most campaigns, from character creation on forward, are a series of conversations between the players and the DM, meaning that it is almost never a simple binary.
Thing is, absent any houseruling the question of 2014 vs 2024 is either one big binary (wholesale use of one version or the other) or more likely a whole lot of small binaries as to which elements from which version will be used; and those conversations you speak of will be over which way each of those smaller binaries gets decided.

Remove ads