• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you play in games you aren't enjoying?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
As others here, I have played in games I haven't enjoyed to play with friends I did enjoy. In one case I took the bull by the horns and became the DM, starting a new campaign that I think people enjoyed more (or maybe they were just sticking around for the friends as well). At the very least, they weren't complaining and arguing like we were with the previous DM.

KingCrab

First Post
I won't play in RPG's that I don't find fun. I think if I wasn't enjoying it, it would come out in some way and the other players would probably get bugged by my fidgeting and not paying attention. I couldn't fake it in front of a group.

However, with video games it's a whole different story. I've played a lot of really horrible computer RPG games just to keep seeing what happens next. What's the next power like? What's the next set of monsters going to look like? There isn't any group of living people that are going to notice my grumpiness so there is nothing for me to worry about except wasting my time (and usually the just one more click mentality is stronger than my concerns.)

William drake

First Post
Hi...Yes, Yes I have; and I want to appologize for it right now.

Glyfair said:
Now that I have been able to access the yucky Gleemax blogs, I started setting up a usable list of the D&D related blogs. With that I started reading a few unrelated blogs.

The Community manager posted an entry "Why I don't like WoW" where he discusses his issues with the game. Of course the first creply deals with the fact that he states "I've leveled four characters to max level, on four different servers, to play with four different groups of friends, and each time I find the resulting gameplay to be empty and hollow for me."

What, he hates the game (his words from the entry), yet he kept playing to max 4 characters on 4 different servers? The first respondent was incredulous (out of 6). Why keep playing a game that you aren't enjoying?

I see that sort of response on these forums at time. "I have a bad DM who keeps doing this, how do I deal with it?" "I have a bad player who is ruining the game for us." A good number of replies tell them to quit or kick out the offending player. They are amazed that they haven't done it already.

Yet, as the blog entry states, the main reason is that you aren't enjoying the game, but you are enjoying hanging out with friends. He isn't playing because he loves the experience, but his friends do and he wants to share that experience (and in GZ's case, keeping track of the competition is probably an issue).

In other cases some of these players really have two choices. They can put up with the problems in the game they are discussing, or they can quit and not game at all. Everyone doesn't have dozens of groups they can enter and just start playing.

Do you have a game you play in, or have played in, that you dislike or even hate, yet keep playing? Have you done that in the past?

Mine was the case where I had nowhere else to go. I played untill it ended, but kept my thoughts about it away from the DM because I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Later, when I wanted to run a game again, after the first week, the old DM said to me "wow,I had alot of stuff wrong with my game didn't I." I still lied saying "I had alot of fun."

Yes, I agree. If you simply hate the game...and you can leave; do so. If not, try to make it better. IF you can't but you can get some enjoyment out of it, play. Otherwise stop complaning and run a game yourself.

The Green Adam

First Post
While I have never done this myself and can barely imagine doing it for any reason, I once watched several sessions of a campaign so bad it made want to rethink my love for the hobby. By gosh it was like watching a self-absorbed child torture ants with a magnifying glass. To this day the campaign, now over some 12 years ago, still can't be refered to by name without watching former players shudder.

AD

Remove ads