• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you Read all the books?

Do you (Or have you) read all of the PHB and DMG front to back?

• I read the whole thing, and I enjoy it. (You sick people!)

Votes: 110 46.2%
  • I will read the whole thing, but only becuase they are the rules. (Cheers!)

Votes: 39 16.4%
  • I don't really (Or just haven't yet) read all of it, but would like to. (Sicker yet.)

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • I don't read the whole thing, and wouldn't really care to.(If you mark this, you get a smiley face.)

Votes: 60 25.2%

Pinotage

Explorer
Guess I get a smiley face then. :) Haven't read either of them cover to cover, and only really use them if I can't figure out something that's written in the SRD. Did I miss anything? :)

Pinotage

glass

(he, him)
You don't think your comments might skew the results of this poll somewhat, make this something of a leading question?

glass.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Absolutely yes, books deserved to be read at least once from first to last page.

Memorize = never bother to. What really should be remembered will stick to people's mind after the second time they look it up, and memorizing the rest is a waste of time.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I answered the first two.

Depends on the book. Something like Redhurst Academy of Magic I can read with no problem. Something like the Dungeon Master's Guide has a few rough spots but is pretty easy.

MonsterMash

First Post
I don't read all the core rulebooks cover to cover, but by dipping in at various times I do end up reading all the content usually as I need it or hopefull in advance of needing to know it when I GM.

Books I'm reviewing or Adventures I read cover to cover.

I think the questions are leading and could have been clearer with another couple of options available.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I don't mean to sound condescending when I say this, so if it comes out that way I apologize: Part of a well-rounded education is being able to fully absorb and comprehend material that is not entertaining to read, especially when you reap benefits from it. Whether I enjoy it or not, it profits me, as a GM, to know all the rules, so it's important to read the rules when I get the chance. I love reading in general, so even dry material is more an annoyance than a real stumbling block. If I have read and comprehended the driest of college textbooks, the PHB and DMG are walks in the park.

I've read every rule book I own cover to cover, and even though I may not recall every rule inside, it was still profitable to get the overview of the rules I was playing by.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I've read both cover to cover. I don't know that I really enjoyed it, but then again, I never really enjoyed reading any rulebook. However, I didn't hate reading them either.

Kane

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I *do* read every book I intend to use heavily from cover to cover.

But, for most books, I flip through them first, looking for what interests me, and decide how / when I'm going to read it based on my first dig.

For example, I ws just going through Gnomes & Kobolds of Tellene yesterday - and knew that there was little in the book I'd be using in my games (as I don't even have gnomes in my core campaign, and have never played a game in the setting of this book), so I was specifically searching for material I could convert to my own setting. In this case, it's a flip through the book situation instead of a true reading.

However, I've read every book I have for the campaign settings I do run - Oathbound, FR, and Arcanis to be specific. You learn a lot about the game by doing this - it's impressive how just reading through the spells in a book can give you new ideas for running bad guys or good guys or whatever.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads