• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you read RPG books all the way through?

Do you ever read RPG books cover to cover?

• Yes

Votes: 102 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 73 41.7%

Pseudopsyche

First Post
Upon reflection, for most RPG books I seem to read cover-to-cover whatever contents are not arranged alphabetically or numerically into lists. So I read the chapter on combat from beginning to end (yeah, although some of the actions are listed alphabetically), but never power lists (in 4e) or spell descriptions (in 3e). So I read the DMG cover-to-cover, but I only skimmed through the MM in about 20 minutes.

I'm a good book learner, but I definitely want to the book to have some narrative structure. My eyes glaze over when trying to read through lists.

Occasionally. The fluffier the book, the more likely I am to do so. Campaign settings, for example, I usually read pretty well through. I always skim over chapters of spell lists, feat descriptions, magic items, etc. I barely glance at stat-blocks, unless I'm actually planning on using the monster or NPC in question in a combat. I don't particularly like reading rules, although classes are the exception. Because you don't get a good sense for what a class is like, and if (or when) you can use it unless you read it. Although in big long chapters of prestige classes, I've been known to start skimming.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I typically didn't do so until quite recently, I actually do read all of my new 4e purchases cover to cover. I actually do like reading all of the crunch, in addition to the fluff.

Kez Darksun

Explorer
I may eventually read a RPG book's contents cover to cover just from the sheer volume of how often I read through various sections, but I cannot recall a single RPG book that I have consciously read straight through. I approach them as reference works as others have said, and read the sections that I need at that moment.

johnnype

First Post
I 've read many Heavy Gear books cover to cover. Mostly those having to do with the fluff of the setting and storyline. Not so much with those having to do with Gear stats and such.

With D&D I've done that with a handful of WotC adventures (City of the Spider Queen and a few others) but that's spotty at best. Can't forget Dragon and Dungeon magazines. Not entire issues but, for example, the entire Age of Worms adventure path and all associated articles.

With most games in my collection I read fluff first and then peruse the crunch. I figure I can learn the crunch if and when I ever play the game.

What's funny is that for all the reading material I have at home (enough to keep me busy for a couple years at least) I'm always, always hungry for more.

Qualidar

First Post
Almost always. The exceptions are things in rule-books like spell chapters and monster books, which I skim through and catch the highlights if they don't pertain to anything immediate I might need.

This might be why my game reading queue is still so long! :p

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Almost always, at least for print books, and I've gone through some more than once. I can't quite get through the spell section of the 3.5 PHB, though. Monster books, settings, and adventures I just devour.

PDFs are a bit tougher, and I have a ginormous backlog of PDFs to read. Eventually I'll get through them if I don't collect too many more. ;)

Nice thread! Interesting to see the wide variety of tastes people have in books and how to read them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads