• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you remove unnamed bonuses? And stacking bonuses?

Quartz

Hero
Well, do you? When I next GM, I intend to do away with all unnamed bonuses. I will class them, even if I have to invent new classes.

And talk me out of making all like-classed bonuses non-stackable (e.g. Dodge bonuses and Luck bonuses currently stack, whereas most others don't). I'm aware that this may require rejigging a feat or two.

frankthedm

First Post
I don't allow a lot of non core rules stuff. When I do allow it most abilities get a care full eye at balance.

BTW Just say No to the Dervish.

Nail

First Post
IMC I've condensed all bonuses given by magic of any kind (spell, Sp, Su) into one: Enhancement. This new Enhancement stacks with itself, to a max of +10.

Reason: ease of use. Having different typed bonuses in 3.xe D&D does nothing for the balance of the game, and increases "calculation/cross-checking" time during game.

[EDIT]How is this not a "house rules" question, BTW? Maybe I'm interpreting the OP's question incorrectly.

Musrum

First Post
IMO an unnamed bonus is poor design.
I switch things around so that instead of an unnamed bonus stacking with anything, it stacks with nothing.

Musrum said:
IMO an unnamed bonus is poor design.

I'm on the other side. I think unnamed bonuses are excellent design.

What is poor design is creating named bonuses which stack with similarly-named bonuses (other than, say, the blanket stacking on Dodge bonuses).

"A +2 bonus to X"? Good.

"A +2 sacred bonus to X which stacks with other sacred bonuses"? No good.

Vuron

First Post
Unnamed Bonuses are generally pretty significant factors in the min/max arsenal. If you are wanting to limit that sort of behavior this might be a decent way of doing it.

Remove ads