• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Run Multiple Campaigns in the Same Setting?

Do you run multiple campaigns in the same campaign world?

• Poll closed .

Raven Crowking

First Post
Simple question, do you run multiple campaigns in the same setting? The poll allows for multiple answers, so that you can select for 1e, 2e, 3e, and OD&D.

RC

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I'm currently running two games set in my D&D-in-spaaaaace! world, but they're probably never going to interact. One's set out-and-about in the wide world with lots of planet-hopping, the other's on a single planet cut off completely from the rest of the universe by aether storms twenty years after the evil space nazi elves took over, and focuses on the resistence movement.

Edgewood

First Post
I have ran 2 seperate campaigns in my homebrew for the past 10 years. Also, one of my players is now running his own campaign in the same world in a new unexplored area of the globe.

Sejs

First Post
Absolutely.

I do, however, try to make it so that different areas of the setting get featured particularly in consecutive campaigns. If Forgotten Realms Game A is mostly taking place up and down the Sword Coast, I'll design Forgotten Realms Game B to take place in, say, the Shining South, or along the Moonsea.

Likewise, if there have been big, world-changing events in one game I'll try to at least integrate them somewhat into the next game, even if the rest of the world was never the wiser as to exactly why what happened happened.

Aus_Snow

First Post
For 3e / d20 fantasy / OGL fantasy / True20 / whatever, I'd have to say "not so far", in order to be accurate.

But I suppose "no", at this stage, will have to do. Who knows what I'll be running in a few years, after all.

In 1e, I did a bit of repetition in that way. I didn't run "OD&D" as you call that range of games, only played in campaigns/one-shots where B/X was used.

shilsen

Adventurer
Sure. I've also run two campaigns in the same setting (for different groups) simultaneously, with the actions of the PCs in one group affecting the others and vice versa. Unfortunately, I don't have time to continue doing that, but it was one of the most enjoyable and satisfying moves I made as a DM. I'd love to do it again.

Drowbane

First Post
1e - do
2e - do
3e - do

I run "based on FR" with elements of other settings baked right in.

Mini Athas (darksun) deep in the Anauroch Desert.
Warforged
Talenta Halflings
Scalet Brotherhood
Vecna (Epic Lich)

Last edited:

bilwar

First Post
I've run multiple campaigns in the same world, for all the versions of DnD. I keep them separate by running them in different periods of time. In other words, one was set about 100 years before/after the other, so they had some effect on each other, but not much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads