• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you select PrCs based on power or concept.

What drives prestige class selection for you?

• Primarily character power

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Primarily character concept

Votes: 62 48.4%
  • About equal measures of both

Votes: 43 33.6%
  • I don't play PrC characters and just want to see the poll!

Votes: 11 8.6%

Moon-Lancer

First Post
I think any prc should improve your power, as you alwayse end up using a few feats and skill you may not have otherwise, But if i dont like the flavor, i wont touch it.

I think dervish is probably the perfect prc ever made. I likem fluffy with a fair amount of crunch.

Concept.

Which is the reason I so rarely play a Prestige Class.

It is amazing how often I read the Fluff for a Prestige Class and think "Cool, I'd like to mold my Character X to be able to do Concept Y". Then realize teh Mechanics of the Prestige Class means I had to have Class B and the ACTUAL mechanics works out more like Class Theta.

It seems like they almost write the Fluff First, then the Draft Mechanics. Then, when playtesting mandates a change in the Mechanics, no body goes back and changes the Fluff to match it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm a concept person first, a power person afterwards. However, my concepts aren't "this guy is a frail scholar, let me go out and find PrCs that make him more frail and more scholarly."

My WLD character here, for instance, would ideally be a gnome illusionist/bard/gnome paragon, as his concept is that he's an "iconic" gnome. Having said that, illusionist 1/bard 1/gnome paragon 3 is hardly a slouch as an illusionist/bard character, especially with the Practiced Spellcaster feat applied to both the illusionist and bard classes. So yes, he'd be an iconic gnome, but within his concept, he'd be quite a powerful little guy.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Equal mesure of both really.

First comes the concept. Then, I see what could fit the concept. Then, I select what fits best the concept AND is the most effective in-game.

Gold Roger

First Post
If it's powerfull, but bland to play. I won't use it.

If it's got a cool concept but is booring to play. I won't use it.

If it has got both power and a cool concept, but is still booring. I won't play it.

But if something isn't that powerfull and a bit unimaginative, but looks fun to play, I'll play it.

Remove ads