• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you take powers without a build specific benefit?

How do you feel about build specific powers.

Most classes have lots of powers - primarily encounter powers that provide a benefit if you have picked a specific class feature, like Artful Dodger, Covenant of Malediction or Fey Pact.

But there are also lots of powers that don't grant any such benefits. Do you find you pick them ever? Or do you automatically classify them as weak? Or do you find them weak after carefully evaluating them most of the time?

Do you ever pick powers of other build options?

How does this change when you take multiclass powers and don't get access to any of the build related benefits at all?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Well, one character I play is a Wizard, so most of his powers are not build-sensitive.

For my Bard, some powers are just great even if they're of the "wrong" build, so long as your other secondary stat is decent.

Looks like an unequivocal "yes".

Cheers, -- N

Well, one character I play is a Wizard, so most of his powers are not build-sensitive.

For my Bard, some powers are just great even if they're of the "wrong" build, so long as your other secondary stat is decent.

Looks like an unequivocal "yes".

Cheers, -- N
I must say I definitely prefer classes that grant benefits based on the secondary ability dependent of the build, without forcing anyone to actually use that build.

But typically I will try to take powers "fitting" to my build. And I am wondering if I miss out. ;)

Mengu

First Post
I said none apply. Because I don't really pay attention to the frequency with which I pick such powers. I could say half the time, but that would be more coincidence than anything else.

I pick the power depending on whether I like the power or not. It's somewhat character dependent too. If my stats are such that I only have a +2 to my secondary stat, then build riders aren't going to be as big a factor. But sometimes despite the low stat, you find a gem that's useful enough. And I do pick powers from other builds.

For a warlock, teleporting is good, even if you're not a feylock. For a fighter with a hammer, seeping blow is still great even if you don't get the extra attack bonus. For a Thaneborn with 14 Cha, Vault the Fallen is still a good power. For a non-Thaneborn Barbarian Curtain of Steel is quite excellent even without the rider.

But when I look at an Inspiring Warlord, a lot of the powers with the build rider look very attractive.

And sometimes powers without any build riders are just what the doctor ordered, like Icy Terrain or Color Spray in a party with rogues.

So it all really depends, I have no preconceptions of "it's better to take powers with build riders" or "it's bad to take powers from another build". I evaluate every power for the level, and pick the one I can make the best use of.

Ryujin

Legend
I tend to look for synergy whenever possible, rather than just the build. My Warlock (originally Feylock, now Fey/Darklock) has two Darklock powers, Cursebite and Cursegrind, because they're great for total overall damage and minion clearling. Fury of Gibbeth works great with my upside-down secondary is higher than primary ability build, but it and Otherwind Stride have great synergy with Far Realm Glimpse; lock 'em down, then make 'em pay for not being able to run away.

Being able to roll twice against a single opponent for the duration of an encounter, combined with being able to be invisible to that opponent for a round (Bard "Grave Caller PP), makes for pretty good synergy with any of the above.

I think that I more made the powers fit the character concept, than went for build specific benefits, but afterward I picked feats that improved the usefulness of those powers.

fba827

Adventurer
if the power interests me despite not being able to use a build-specific bonus, then i do not let that stop me from taking the power. Basically, I look at the base powers and compare, and a build-specific additional effect I look at as a 'bonus' that doesn't really affect my initial decision, though it may act as a tie breaker if I'm deciding between a couple choices.

MrMyth

First Post
Really hard question to answer, since it really varies from question to question.

My first 4E character, a rogue, focused heavily on brutal scoundrel powers - but not exclusively, and even took a Artful Dodge power (Bait and Switch) despite not getting the extra benefits. My current character, a Bravura Warlord, has focused heavily on bravura specific powers. My previous character, a Shielding Swordmage, has no Shielding specific powers.

Each character has had different things they look for in powers - some of which mesh up with build-specific benefits, some of which don't. Even outside of that, I don't automatically snag build-specific powers, but simply weigh them against the rest - they tend to weigh stronger due to their extra benefits, but rarely enough to overwhelm all other choices.

Michele Carter

First Post

Exactly that. My cunning bard took shout of triumph--a power with a valor rider--because I wanted a multitarget encounter power. Not having access to the rider hasn't made it less useful.

mps42

First Post
I usually choose powers that fit a particular theme or what I want the charachter to DO, rather than go by build. My Rogue I primarily focus on powers that grant combat advantage as often as possible or allow me to move as much as possible. Build perks are great, but they're not everything.

Remove ads