• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you think Haste is too powerful as is?

Do you think Haste is too powerful as is?

• Yes, something should be done to curb it's power.

Votes: 149 47.8%
  • No, we use it as is, and it's just fine.

Votes: 163 52.2%

Mulkhoran

First Post
In the Haste aging thread,

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31590&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Stalker0 didst mightily toss down the gauntlet, and I responded:

Originally posted by Stalker0
But whatever you do, I believe the majority of players on the boards recognize the great power of haste, and that something should be done to curve it.

Being the great confrontational :) :) :) that I am, I asked if he wanted me to post a poll to test. He did, and I am.

Forgive me for hashing this issue out for the millionth time. Assault me if you will. Register at Nutkinland and post horrific things about Mulkhoran in Fighting Words.

BUT VOTE!!!!

This message brought to you by hungry kittens.

Last edited:

Kraedin

First Post
It's on the high end of a 3rd level spell, but it's hardly a game-breaker. It's no simulacrum, allowing the creation of an exponentially powerful chain of spell casters, no gate allowing you to port in an unlimited number of uncontrolled balors to lay waste to the countryside, no shapechange, allowing fifty million plus damage per round, etc.

Artoomis

First Post
Yes, it's too powerful as is.

Like other spells that shifted over from aging to exp pt cost, haste should cost exp pts to whoever receives it. Maybe 25 or 50 points?

Dimwhit

Explorer
I don't think Haste is any more powerful than, say, Improved Invisibility (which should be at least a 5th level spell, if not 6th).

Anubis

First Post
There's no proof like game use.

In actual campaigns, regardless of what you may think of Haste, it is NOT broken OR too powerful as-is. For one, Slow dispels it automatically. Second, Haste can only be used on one person at a time. Third, it is rarely, if ever, a spell that completely changes the outcome of a battle. It only allows ONE more attack or ONE more spell. One attack isn't much, and that one spell still comes out of your daily supply.

So regardless of the mechanics and logistics, in ACTUAL play, Haste works just fine as it is and never breaks ANYTHING.

Happy Monkey

First Post
Everybody wants haste potions, boots, scrolls, boots, damn boots.

It is not fine as is, it is simply too good and too necessary for everyone. A spell caster that does not have haste is not viable and that peeves me greatly.

The more actions you get the more important initiative is, the less effective single powerful enemies are.

I have to say that my biggest gripe is simply the "must have" aspect of haste.

I nerfed haste (and harm) a while ago and loe, the boots are gone. :) I also nerfed slow.

Dimwhit

Explorer
I never had a desire for Boot of Haste. In fact, in all our campaigns, I think there is only one character that has them.

Now boots of striding and springing...those are powerful boots.

Bastoche

First Post
Dimwhit said:
I never had a desire for Boot of Haste. In fact, in all our campaigns, I think there is only one character that has them.

Now boots of striding and springing...those are powerful boots.

And expeditious retreat, there's a broken spell ;).

I've seen players create power combos much more far-fetched (and less effective) than the PrC skill requirements and the haste spell and/or items.

mkletch

First Post
Kraedin said:
It's on the high end of a 3rd level spell, but it's hardly a game-breaker. It's no simulacrum, allowing the creation of an exponentially powerful chain of spell casters, no gate allowing you to port in an unlimited number of uncontrolled balors to lay waste to the countryside, no shapechange, allowing fifty million plus damage per round, etc.

Then again, haste is not an 8th or 9th level spell, as these other's you've so kindly pointed out. It is 3rd, but allows you to cast gate 2/round, or shapechange & gate. Think of it that way...

Dimwhit said:
I don't think Haste is any more powerful than, say, Improved Invisibility (which should be at least a 5th level spell, if not 6th).

I agree. Invis should be bumped, too.

Happy Monkey said:
I have to say that my biggest gripe is simply the "must have" aspect of haste.

And any spell/feat/item that everybody wants or must have is too good.

-Fletch!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads