• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you use a computer program (such as DM Genie)? (poll)

Zym

First Post
Our GM uses DMGenie and CC for the majority of the game. Also used are a few of the generators and DMAids mentioned earlier.

Only one other member of the group runs a game atm and they also use DMGenie, though only as a database/reference type assistant and not for combat or campaign.

As a player I use DMGenie and Excel for character management, campaign tracking and quick reference of material used in the game. I also use a small trove of OCRed PDFs for quick topic search and rules queries. :cool:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I think I'm the opposite of most people - as DM I don't have a computer, and as a player I do.

Okay, even as DM I user a word processor for campaign notes, but I find that having physical papers I can spread out and write on works for me. Plus the act of updating the files later with things that happen in game helps reinforce them so a year later I havent forgotten.

As a player, I use a computer to speed myself during combat. For example, fro a 7th level druid I have an excel sheet that auto-calcs my wildshapes (and I have written up stat blocks for all summonable monsters already modified by my feats). For an epic level high magic campaign with a 22nd level character and a huge amount of buffing (from multiple PCs), debuffing, dispelling, and polymnorphing, I have a spreadsheet character sheet that's not designed to print out, but rather to handle everything and just give me the number. It's organically grown around the character, one of these days I hope to make it more general. But it can handle that I've got 14 different buff spells up, am arcane striking, power attacking, have higher ground, polymorphed into a frost giant, and am shaken.

Of course, making it became a hobby in itself, and I think I spent more time making that sheet then playing the character sicne that game meets infrequently. :p

Cheers,
=Blue

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
I pretty much code my own tools and use them. Though can't say I use only things I make since there are such nice tools as Tablesmith.

Hussar

Legend
PCGen for lots of stuff.

OpenRPG to game. (Come on, is there no one else out there who uses Open to game?)

Gimp for maps.

NewLifeForm

First Post
Only Mapping Programs, Word, Excel and the Internet for Research.

My style is somewhat rules-lite and art heavy. I've yet to find any computer program that does as little as I need ;) That is to say, I agree with tetsujin28 (cool user name btw) and think that using GMing programs is more difficult then it's worth. I never use it during play, just as prep work.

NewLifeForm

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads