• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you use a computer when playing?

Bolcien

First Post
unfortunetly all my material is on computer, when and it's only been me and my friend who DnDs really so no issues with laptop/tablet/smartphone usage, and self discipline to not access the internet when connected makes for smooth gaming.

Vael

Legend
I've gone to using my tablet exclusively when playing, I keep all my character sheets on iPlay4e (still waiting for Android offline support), with PDFs in dropbox. Partially to save paper, I'd be more inclined to print them out if there was a quick and easy way to consolidate a character built in the CB to a single page printout. But these 4 to 7 page printouts are such a waste. Especially since I play in Encounters, new characters leveling up quickly, tablet play is just more efficient for me.

DMing, I switch it up. I'm just as comfortable with notes and index cards as I am with a tablet or laptop. I will pen-and-paper this Encounters season, with my tablet with all the necessary PDFs and compendium access as backup, but not as a main tool. Maybe for ambience music.

Obryn

Hero
Masterplan is so darn good it converted me from no-computer to always-computer. I do all of my preparation using it, import monsters from adventure tools, and use it now to do all my (1) dice rolling, (2) initiative tracking, (3) math, and (4) condition tracking. It's pretty incredible, and lets me focus on running an awesome game. I am never going back. :)

-O

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
Masterplan is so darn good it converted me from no-computer to always-computer. <snip> I am never going back. :)

-O
What's the learning curve on Masterplan? I've heard good things about it, and tracking initatives and conditions would be valuable to my 4e game.

You know, I'm not against using a computer at table. Since my low-tech set up has worked well so far, I just haven't taken the time to learn a new system. I think set up will be key. I wouldn't want to use a laptop (or desktop lol), cuz I couldn't stand a bunch of people around a table staring at their individual screens. But if the computer was at the side, so it's used more like a reference tool, it might work.

I also like the suggestion of using a dual monitor set up (again on the side or something). That raises some interesting possibilities....

Libramarian

Adventurer
I've tried using computers for maps and combat tracking but it always seems to be more trouble than it's worth, so currently no.

I'm not averse to tech at the game table in principle but I would want a game that is actually designed to make full use of it with little tinkering and configuration required.

I write my adventures digitally, often using Google Drive so I can freely swap between computers and my iPad. I use a digital character builder for most of my NPCs as they need to be built quickly.
I do a lot of world maps in Photoshop. But for combat maps I just doodle then build what I need via Dungeon Tiles and TerraClips.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I do most of my prep on the computer, except for mapping (after trying a dozen programs and approaches, I found I just prefer to do maps by hand). I use Google Docs for all my notes and such, so I can access it from anywhere to jot down ideas when I have them.

Before sessions, I'll write out all the main stats, NPCs, story beats and such on a couple of sheets of paper for use during play. I tried using a laptop for a while, but I just can't get it to jive with my DMing. I still have a laptop open to the side, so I can dig into it for more detailed notes when called for. I often won't, though, and the computer will just sit there for the entire session unused... humming and taking up precious space. I still prefer having it; those detailed notes are too precious when needed.

BUT: One of my players bought an iPad a couple of months ago and she's been letting me use it during play. And I find it quite lovely. While I'm still just accessing exactly the same Google Docs as on the laptop, it just feels more natural. For the last few sessions now, the only things I've had on paper were the maps. We've set our sights on getting one ourselves as soon as the budget allows.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Sometimes I run my AD&D campaign off of nothing more then 4 of the original hardbacks, a legal pad, graph paper, and pencils (when I'm feeling extra nostalgic). But mostly me and my group are all wired-up: laptops, iPads, smartphones, etc. -- with live Internet connections.

I can't imagine running/playing systems as complex as Pathinder anymore
without access to the online SRD and a die roller.

Siberys

Adventurer
Yes. I have an elaborate setup for using my iPad in place of a battlemap and miniatures, and to track combat, and I keep campaign notes for the players on my website. Pretty much everything else is physical, though - no dice rollers, physical character sheets and handouts, a hardcopy of the adventure I'm running, &c.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads