• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you use/allow custom backgrounds?

Arilyn

Hero
And it would be great, if the rules actually said that. Instead, the rules say that you can take any background, swap out the proficiencies and feature however you feel like (keeping the description/flavor/fluff of the lore intact), and any DM is a jerk if they ask you to justify it.

What the background rules should have said: "Figure out your background. That is what you did before you were an adventurer. Other characters may react to you based on this. Choose two skill proficiencies and two languages or tool proficiencies that reflect your background. Here are some examples."

What the background rules actually say: "Here are some some codified backgrounds. Each background gives you two skill proficiencies, two languages and/or tool proficiencies, and a feature which determines how other characters react to you. Feel free to mix and match them arbitrarily."

Okay, while you are technically right, I think the spirit of the rules is meant to allow players to create their own backgrounds. Any half way competent GM is not going to allow a jumble of proficiencies without an explanation or unifying theme. There are far too many campaign worlds and player ideas to restrict backgrounds to an official set list.

EdAbbey

Explorer
I think its a great way to encourage better role-playing. I've found some players will choose a background in order to acquire particular proficiencies even though that background may not fit well with how they portray their character. May as well let them work their desired proficiency into a background of their own making in a manner that makes sense. This forces them to put more thought into a background rather than a copy/paste from the PHB into their character sheet.

For reference, I'm usually DM'ing my tween-age kids who tend not to put much effort into character development...

Last edited:

Arilyn

Hero
Well, you're in luck! Because the book actually gives you exactly what you want!

"A background contains suggested personal characteristics based on your background. You can pick characteristics, roll dice to determine them randomly, or use the suggestions as inspiration for characteristics of your own creation."

I know. I have just found that having them on a table causes a lot of players to pick or roll, rather than creating their own. Having lots of examples without numbering them could encourage more creativity.

mgshamster

First Post
I know. I have just found that having them on a table causes a lot of players to pick or roll, rather than creating their own. Having lots of examples without numbering them could encourage more creativity.

Fair enough, my friend.

I'm always torn on that, as I agree with you, but at the same time I like having the numbers so I can roll randomly at times. There are times when I see lists that aren't numbered and wish they were so I wouldn't have to count up just to roll randomly.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Kobold Stew's Randomized Background List

Roll a d20.

1.-4. Go with the Quick Build suggestion for your class.
5. Acolyte
6. Charlatan
7. Criminal
8. Entertainer (roll 1d6: on 5 ot 6, Gladiator)
9. Folk Hero
10. Guild Artisan (roll 1d6: on 5 ot 6, Guild Merchant)
11. Hermit
12. Noble (roll 1d6: on 5 ot 6, Knight)
13. Outlander
14. Sage
15. Sailor (roll 1d6: on 5 ot 6, Pirate)
16. Soldier
17. Urchin
18-20. Re-roll, or roll d12 for a Background from SCAG.

Okay, while you are technically right, I think the spirit of the rules is meant to allow players to create their own backgrounds. Any half way competent GM is not going to allow a jumble of proficiencies without an explanation or unifying theme. There are far too many campaign worlds and player ideas to restrict backgrounds to an official set list.
Right, exactly. Any decent DM is going to prevent egregious mismatch between the background narrative and the mechanical benefits of that background, which makes it absurd that this is the one place in the game where the rules give carte blanche to the player without even nodding toward the idea of DM oversight.

Right, exactly. Any decent DM is going to prevent egregious mismatch between the background narrative and the mechanical benefits of that background, which makes it absurd that this is the one place in the game where the rules give carte blanche to the player without even nodding toward the idea of DM oversight.
So, to clarify:
Is your objection that someone can freely mix and match background skills and features to create new backgrounds?

Or that someone could mix and match skills and features to create a new background and call it by the name of an existing background?

schnee

First Post
Because, as written, it may turn the world into a nonsensical place.

As written, you could start with the Sailor background, change the proficiencies to Arcana/History/Elvish/Draconic and the feature to Position of Privilege; and you would create a "Sailor" who has no idea how to sail, and who isn't recognized around any docks; who is universally recognized as a member of the nobility, in spite of not actually being a noble; and who knows magical histories and languages, in spite of never having been around books or sages of any sort.

It is the single most ridiculous rule in the entire book. That is why you should not allow it.

No, the real issue is that this is the single most ridiculous post in the thread.

If you have players that do that to you regularly, I imagine they must be trolling you.

Arilyn

Hero
Fair enough, my friend.

I'm always torn on that, as I agree with you, but at the same time I like having the numbers so I can roll randomly at times. There are times when I see lists that aren't numbered and wish they were so I wouldn't have to count up just to roll randomly.

So, what we REALLY need are players who think about what they're doing more carefully, then we'd both be happy.:)Only use those numbered lists to satisfy the random itch.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Numbering them, so players can roll, is a mistake, in my opinion.

I am glad they did that. It saves me work. I like playing a character with traits I haven't chosen. It gets me out of my comfort zone.

I've played D&D for a long time and at some point I've developed a style of characters. I find it nice to play other sorts of characters. The easiest way for me to do that is to roll. Otherwise I'm inclined to pick the same sorts of things, even with the original intention of not doing so.

The result is that each character presents a novel experience which is not likely similar to a character I have played in the past.

Remove ads