• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you use the flanking rule?

Skyscraper

Explorer
Do you use the optional flanking rule from page 251 of the DMG?

If so, how does it work for you?

If not, why do you choose to disregard it?

marcelvdpol

Explorer
None of the DnD games in which im involved use the Flanking rules. Combat is tactically much simpler in this edition (slightly too simple for my taste), but the advantage is that combats are resolved quite quickly and tactical discussions are relatively few; usually limited to things like "run away" or something along those lines.

While the finesse of flanking has been removed, i personally dont really miss it. Moreover, it makes the job of the dm much easier as he doesnt have to use Flanking in the Npc tactics either.

LarryD

First Post
I don't use the optional flanking rules - there are other ways to grant advantage on attack (Help, buffs, etc.). Makes for faster combat, too.

aco175

Legend
My group uses it all the time, we use mini's as well for combats. We find that it encourages movement while playing and I find that it tends to end fights quicker leaving me to make more difficult monsters. I tend to have some of the combats use multiple monsters of low level to make up for this. While the PCs gain up on the big guys, I can have goblins and such gain up on them in return.

Sometimes it leads to characters moving to where they can flank only and not to where they may do the most good. The thief also tends to move to attack opponents where he can if not flank, at least get to backstab for the extra few d6 dice rather then the d4+3

Capn Charlie

Explorer
We use miniatures and a grid for combats, and use flanking quite extensively. It is fast and easy, and my players rarely have a problem with it, except for occasionally trying to understand a flank on a huge creature.

My group really enjoys this rule, and was one of the first optional rules we implemented, to our overall satisfaction.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
We use minis and grid, so flanking is a natural. It works for and against the PCs, and seems to not slow our combats.

Bawylie

A very OK person
I don't, for the most part.

I do use facing in my CoS game in conjunction with an expanded role of stealth for some of the more predator-prey aspects of the game. But that's just to increase the players' sense of vulnerability (key for horror).

Generally the help action (for advantage) substitutes for the flanking rule sufficiently so as not to need that level of granular positioning.

-Brad

Remove ads