• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Do You Use Verticality in Your Games? How?

I've been playing a lot of Baldur's Gate 3, and for my last session I run before I get swamped by schoolwork I want to incorporate a lot of verticality to the battle map, especially since one of my players runs a shadar-kai monk with the mobile feat.

I usually make my maps using removable adhesive to stick Dungeon Tiles to a piece of black posterboard, so this time I'm cutting up pieces of an older, beat-up posterboard to stack on top of one another before adhering the tiles on top. I've decided that each piece of posterboard beneath a tile results in an elevation increase of 5 feet. At present I've got some water directly on the main posterboard, then the surrounding shore at 5 feet, then stairs that elevate at a slope to a platform at 25 feet. What I've got looks fairly good so far, but I get the feeling I could have found an easier way to construct this.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Dice boxes and their black plastic caps, in addition to just marking levels of height on the battle map in marker. I recently did a a couple of ships with removable layers/decks - not exactly height but same idea.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).gif
ezgif.com-gif-maker (3).gif

Richards

Legend
In my last 3.5 campaign, I had a player running an elven "bounder," a roguelike class I made up for him, since he wanted to play a PC capable of doing parkour, basically. So as he did a lot of running up walls and things in that campaign, I made sure to give him plenty of walls and things to run up.

Johnathan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads