• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you want a train ticket with that?

Railroading Adventures

• Yes. I'll take a preconcieved novelization.

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • No. I rather play it by ear.

Votes: 76 78.4%
  • I don't understand your statement.

Votes: 8 8.2%

• Poll closed .

Sir Elton

First Post
I'm wondering how people like their published adventures. Do you want passages filled with monologues or do you want your NPCs so detailed that the DM would be able to play their character nicely.

Perhaps a combination of the two?

I never count on PC's doing what the playtest group did, warranting the same forms of address or even speaking mostly with those folks given dialogue in a typical module. I'd rather just be given the whole story so I can run with it. I guess I really just want the baseline from which an author is operating before I run a module for a group. That way, I know where and why I'm deviating.

nopantsyet

First Post
Less.

When I use modules, it's within the context of my own campain and world, so I throw out most of the characterization exept the basics (though in some cases that too) and refit them into the larger scope based on the usefulness of the character or their role.

Earlier this year, I ran Last Stand at Outpost Three from Dungeon 110. One NPC (Gorgoreth) was completely reworked except that he commanded the outpost--and that includes the character sheet--and played a significant role beyond the adventure. Another (Laalarash) stayed basically the same, but stuck around a little while to torment the PCs. Finally, I filled out the persona of a very minor NPC (Halaak) who ended up recurring after the adventure, and likely will again in the future.

I'd much rather see effort put ino developing high quality, flexible adventures.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Nifft said:
Neither.

Gimmie a flowchart that I can customize within reason -- or without!

That's why I'm in love with Badaxe's Slavelords of Cydonia. It's the least linear, most complete module I've seen; a general plot that the PCs influence, but lots of ways to achieve different goals as that plot progresses. I'm astonished they were able to pull it off, but it's dandy.

Last edited:

Starglim

Explorer
It's many times more important for an adventure to tell the DM what an NPC knows and what he wants, than what he says. That will come naturally as a response to the players' actions.

Fenes

First Post
I write my adventures like that NPCs, their goals, and their means. Then some possible locations for some events or encounters, and then I wing it.

Sir Elton

First Post
Nifft said:
Neither.

Gimmie a flowchart that I can customize within reason -- or without!

-- N
This is a personal observation. Flowcharts just don't jive with me. I don't know why, I think it's all those boxes and circles in an organized fashion. :(

Now a mind map, that's something else entirely. That's pure chaos with little organization. With a mind map, I can get all my ideas on paper on how a thing works; then I can proceed to outline something. I'm afraid, though, that flowcharting is beyond me as a way to organize my ideas.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads