• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Do you want more 4e classes, races, feats, powers, etc?

Do you want more 4e classes, races, feats, powers, etc?

Blackbrrd

First Post
I have been pondering lately if I really care what comes in future 4e releases when it comes to classes, races, feats, powers etc.

Just after the PHB was published I felt like the amount of material was a bit thin. I was overjoyed to see things like Martial Power, Arcane Power, Divine Power and PHB2. Those books added so much material that I felt like I had a bazillion choices.

As PHB3 and further expansions are coming, my attitude has changed. I really don't care if they stop publishing new material like that. The same thing happened in 3.5.

(On the other hand I am really pleased every time I see a new module, campaign setting or other tools that are actually helping the role playing going, but that is a bit off topic here...)

Mort_Q

First Post
I still want the damn D&D Gametable!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt9qtQCj5Y0"]Gametable![/ame]

As for supplements... the more the merrier. You don't have to buy any of it if you don't want it... and even the worst material has something I can steal bits from.

Last edited:

Kinneus

Explorer
I like the various Player Handbook's. I'm okay with the setting books having unique classes and races, too. I was okay with Martial Power, Arcane Power, Divine Power, etc. because it gave them a chance to beef up weak classes (the paladin and wizard, for instance). But I have to admit, things like Martial Power 2 makes me roll my eyes.

Part of the reason I avoided 3.5e is because of the endless splatbooks, but now I feel like 4e is getting to that point already. There's sort of a tyranny of choices. Feats don't excite me, and there's already so many that I have no idea how I'd build a character without the Character Builder. I disregard things from Dragon Magazine as a general rule, simply because there are too many choices already. I like new races and classes, because I feel like they give people really interesting options, but I don't really care to see a bunch of new powers for old classes in new books. I'd prefer that they get it right the first time, and give us lots of balanced, flavorful choices in whatever book the class makes it debut.

Basically, I'd be happier if D&D was limited to the Player's Handbooks, with the occasional new class or race being introduced in a setting book. Really, if we went with that, we'd only lose a few broken combos, marginal powers, and a few hundred feats. And I could live with those losses.

caudor

Adventurer
Game table...hopefully sooner rather than later.

I want them to keep the classes, races, etc. coming. If there is something I don't like, I simply won't buy it. But options? I love to have waving fields of options.

kaomera

Explorer
Do you want more 4e classes, races, feats, powers, etc?
Classes - Yes, with a "but..." I'm not too fond of most of the PHB3 classes, they seem a bit on the "different just to be different" side of things, but actual play experience could well change that opinion. I would really like to see some options that seem obvious to me for existing classes fleshed out first, so basically I'd rather see "* Power" books over a Player's Handbook 4, if that was the choice.

Races - Not really. There's plenty of options for me right now. I'm not adverse to seeing new races printed, I just don't really specifically want them. It definitely would be nice to see more info on the existing races.

Feats - Yes, please. Admittedly the field is getting pretty crowded, the character builder could probably use a better search feature, as there's just tons of them to go through. But for every dozen or so (maybe less) feats that get published there's at least one that I just find really neat.

Powers - Same as feats.

Etc. - Sure, why not.

Rechan

Adventurer
Considering there are still many things I want to see, this requires new classes, or at LEAST new builds.

I don't feel threatened by the steady stream of splats. I have only managed to play perhaps 3 characters in 4e at this point beyond two sessions, so the amount of mechanical options vastly exceeded the amount of characters that I'd play that would get to use them with the first PHB.

Regardless I want to see more coming, because I am really interested in seeing how they mechanically differ and the different things they do.

My only concern is balance and quality.

Besides. I have the character builder. I don't need to buy those books.

Races: As one who loves the weird, the crazy, the different, hell yes.

Paul Strack

First Post
I want to see the Shadow-based classes (Assassins, Necromancers, etc.) After that I will be satisfied.

I would also like them to flesh out some of the "Evil" races (orcs, githyanki, goblins, etc.)

I would like to see more setting books ... provide they were any good. I haven't been especially impressed with the 4E setting books, and haven't like *any* of the modules (none fit my playing style).

Remove ads