• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Strange role (hopefully) cast

Nellisir

Hero
So apparently they've (almost?) cast the role of Doctor Strange for the Marvel movie. And the winner is....

Benedict Cumberbatch
. The article also says that "negotiations are about to begin" though, so it sounds like it's only halfway there and could still fall apart.

I can't say I'm particularly thrilled with this. I can see how it makes sense, but Mr. Cumberbatch is flirting with overexposure and I'd rather have seen someone a little less marquee. And on a personal note, I'd rather see more episodes of Sherlock.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So apparently they've (almost?) cast the role of Doctor Strange for the Marvel movie. And the winner is....

Benedict Cumberbatch
. The article also says that "negotiations are about to begin" though, so it sounds like it's only halfway there and could still fall apart.

I can't say I'm particularly thrilled with this. I can see how it makes sense, but Mr. Cumberbatch is flirting with overexposure and I'd rather have seen someone a little less marquee. And on a personal note, I'd rather see more episodes of Sherlock.

Agreed 100%.

Also, to me, Dr. Strange should be played a slightly older actor. Before his quest for magic, he was a world famous surgeon. That kind of rep takes time to build.

Ryujin

Legend

Benedict Cumberbatch

This casting just feels wrong. I can't shake the feeling that they should have gone for a relative unknown. Even someone like John Cusack would have been a better choice, from my point of view. Strange is supposed to start out as a surgeon with a god complex, a near Tony Stark ego, then be humbled. Somehow I just can't picture the humbled part with Cumberbatch.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Nope not a good choice:(

Cumberbatch is 38, and iirc Strange was in his mid 30s when he had his accident. I suppose Cumberbatch is old enough but I'd have preferred someone at least in their 40's to give the role gravitas. My personel choice would be Ed Norton, but I suppose thats not a goer.

and yes more Sherlock!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just today, I saw, in a theater, a movie of a stage play with Cumberbatch playing Frankenstein. Not Victor, but the monster*.

Until this, I thought his popularity was... fannish over-zealousness? I have revised that - the man can ACT. I have no doubt that he can do what they give him - the question is whether the script is any good.

*In the stage production, the two leads swapped the role between performances - sometimes he played the monster, sometimes he played Victor Frankenstein.

Nellisir

Hero
Just today, I saw, in a theater, a movie of a stage play with Cumberbatch playing Frankenstein. Not Victor, but the monster*.
Until this, I thought his popularity was... fannish over-zealousness? I have revised that - the man can ACT. I have no doubt that he can do what they give him - the question is whether the script is any good.

I've been impressed with his acting (not so much with his interviews), but that doesn't mean he's the best casting choice. Jennifer Lawrence impressed the hell out of me in Winter's Bone, but I don't think she'd be right for the part either.

Meryl Streep would be an interesting choice, however.

horacethegrey

First Post
First look from Entertainment Weekly.

BHLjQ9u.jpg

Remove ads