Doctor Who Season 2--10/06/06

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
[imagel]http://www.vayatele.com/images/Dr%20Who.jpg[/imagel]

"Tooth and Claw" Episode #202.

The Doctor and Rose travel back to 1879, but an encounter in the Scottish Highlands with Queen Victoria and a band of warrior monks reveals a deadly trap.​

Cast: David Tennant, Billie Piper.

Richards

Legend
It seemed kind of odd there at the end, when the Doctor and Rose were first knighted (or whatever the equivalent for women is that earns you the title "Dame"), and then immediately banished forever. Kind of like "Thank you for saving my life, now get the hell away from me, you freaks!" Still, I liked the werewolf, and danged if they didn't get just about the creepiest looking guy possible to play the head monk.

Johnathan

Tuzenbach

First Post
You know, when this episode first started, I was having a difficult time believing it was Doctor Who! All the scenes prior to the opening credits gave me the feeling of, "Wow, far too much money was spent on these scenes for this to be Doctor Who!" I mean, seriously, flying crimson monks?!

Perhaps this was just directed VERY well, but I was amazed (I'm still talking about the opening scene).

How many times have Stargate teams visited some Medieval-village setting and have anything even remotely this exciting take place? Ummm, NEVER!

After the opening credits....

Those scenes in the country were very panoramic. Again, good direction here. Unfortunately, Rose wouldn't shut up about getting Queen Victoria to say "We are not amused". This is bad writing.

The incidental music, as has been throughout the bulk of RTD's reign as producer, was annoying and overly "let's please as many people as we can".

And, seriously, enough with the Torchwood references! RTD has used Doctor Who to advertise his spinoff show SO MUCH that I refuse to watch a single Torchwood episode. Again, bad freakin' writing.

The story so far?

Great Directing
Great Doctor

Good Plots

Lame Incidentals
Lame Credits (seriously, my screen saver's wobbly, 3D text is more amusing!)

Pedantic, self-serving Dialogue

Last edited:

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Wasn't Victoria named Empress of India later? Much later? If so, why didn't anyone pick up on it? And why was Rose knighted Dame Rose of whatever (couldn't quite make out what was said), instead of Dame Rose Tyler? (And Sir Doctor of Tardis was just plain stupid. No wonder she had no trouble kicking them both of them out of the country!)

StevenAC

Explorer
Tuzenbach said:
And, seriously, enough with the Torchwood references! RTD has used Doctor Who to advertise his spinoff show SO MUCH that I refuse to watch a single Torchwood episode. Again, bad freakin' writing.
Bad freakin' assumption. The entire structure of this series of Doctor Who, including the involvement of the Torchwood Institute in various episodes, was in place long before the separate Torchwood series was developed.

Ed_Laprade said:
Wasn't Victoria named Empress of India later? Much later? If so, why didn't anyone pick up on it?
She gained the title Empress of India in 1877, two years before the date of this episode.

Crothian

First Post
Richards said:
It seemed kind of odd there at the end, when the Doctor and Rose were first knighted (or whatever the equivalent for women is that earns you the title "Dame"), and then immediately banished forever. Kind of like "Thank you for saving my life, now get the hell away from me, you freaks!"

It made sense to me. She thanked them for saving her life, but the way they approached the problem as if it was fun and childlike offended her Majesty. So, she punished them the best way she was able.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Tuzenbach said:

You're in for a bad time, then, I'm afraid! You've only seen a couple of episodes so far - there's a reference in every episode, and the 2-part finale is set at Torchwood. I'd stop watching now if I were you. :)

Incidentally, there was a trailer for Torchwood after the new Robin Hood show on BBC last night. I thought it looked really good.

Tuzenbach

First Post
StevenAC said:
Bad freakin' assumption. The entire structure of this series of Doctor Who, including the involvement of the Torchwood Institute in various episodes, was in place long before the separate Torchwood series was developed.

Well, what can I say? You're absolutely wrong!

RTD announced his "marvelous" Torchwood concept very soon after he'd finished production on Series 1. The thought was that he wanted an "adult" spinoff of Doctor Who (of which Torchwood is an anagram of).

But honestly, I never thought the guy would stoop so low as to use the second series of Doctor Who specifically as an advertising platform for his new show. I mean, I'm all for marketing, but he's beaten this thing to death.

And when you say "long before the separate Torchwood series was developed", it's only true if "developed" = "filmed". As I said, the *thought* for RTD to do this can be traced all the way back to early Spring of 2005, though actual filming didn't commence until much later.

Remove ads