D&D 5E Doctors & Daleks - Cubicle 7 Brings Doctor Who to D&D 5E

Cubicle 7 -- makers of the official Doctor Who roleplaying game -- has announced that the Doctor will officially be coming to 5E soon under the name Doctors and Daleks. There are no dates or details yet, over than that the Doctors and Daleks Player's Guide will launch 'soon'. A NEW COMPANION FOR YOUR ADVENTURES THROUGH ALL OF SPACE AND TIME! The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite...

Cubicle 7 -- makers of the official Doctor Who roleplaying game -- has announced that the Doctor will officially be coming to 5E soon under the name Doctors and Daleks. There are no dates or details yet, over than that the Doctors and Daleks Player's Guide will launch 'soon'.

dnd.jpg

A NEW COMPANION FOR YOUR ADVENTURES THROUGH ALL OF SPACE AND TIME!

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen. Want to meet Leornado da Vinci? Or see what life is like in the year 3,000? What about another planet entirely? All of space and time is your Venusian macro-oyster, but keep your wits about you — there’s a lot of danger in the vastness of eternity.

We are delighted to announce that we are working on Doctors and Daleks – a new line of products that brings Doctor Who adventures to your table using 5th Edition rules! The first release – The Doctors and Daleks Player’s Guide will launch soon.

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen.

We’ll also continue to support the new Second Edition of our award winning Doctor Who: The Roleplaying Game, with a host of new products on the way soon!

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I'm looking forward to what they'll do. The knee jerk negativity of using D&D for other games kept me away from D20 Call of Cthulu thinking it was a super heroic fantasy game mushed to look like CoC and I wished I'd ignored all that and gave it at least a look earlier.
This is where the creator list is going to come in handy. I knew that the CoC d20 game had a high probability of being good because of the names involved. It had both Monte Cook and John Tynes involved as leads with Dennis Detwiller, Ken Hite, and other names that I can't think off the top right now but I recognized from the CoC sphere. I knew it was going to be a quality effort and worth a purchase whether it worked in the end or not.

I'll have more of an idea of what kind of a game this is going to be once I see who the attached creators are. But as I say above - a Doctor Who game is hard as it is. I like the idea of the current Cubicle 7 game well enough but I've only played it at cons because its just too weird to think of the kind of game I'd want to run with it.

There is also other reason for the d20 system, and it is easier to be published the translations. For example the Spanish market is too small to translate Dr Who RPG, but there is enoughs space to publish a d20 system version of this or that franchise.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm assuming this is essentially a business decision... out of the properties they have, Dr. Who is probably Cubicle 7's less-profitable. WFRP easily the most, likely Wrath and Glory next, but no way GW is going to let 5E versions of those exist.
Too bad. WFRP is the most easy fit to D&D 5E. Hell, it would probably work better with that system than WFRP 4E.
To be fair, most creators want a dip in that bucket.

I don't think cynicism has anything to do with it.
I’d correct that to say most creators need a dip in that bucket. As in without it they’re not profitable. Most creatives I know would rather people play their custom systems rather than have to mangle their creations to fit into the 5E paradigm. But, as mentioned above, most gamers simply don’t have any desire to learn a new system.
Also I want to play in the Dr Who universe but not necessarily with any Dr Who’s. Or sometimes without any time travel. There is so much there that I want to explore.
There’s a whole game line already out there you can pick up right now. It even recently came out with a second edition. It’s a great system.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Huh. A franchise that's mostly about talking your way out of violence and/or straight up running away coupled with a game system that's 90% combat.

Here's to hoping they do great things with the non-combat challenges otherwise this will end up as a Doctor Who shooter.

I can see it now. Regeneration is the level up mechanic for Time Lords.
Considering that the "90% combat" aspect of 5e (which isn't really accurate, anyway) is largely due to the number of class features and spells dedicated to combat, not the rest of the system, I don't see why they'd have any problems.

Remove ads

Remove ads