• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dodging arrows

Keenath

Explorer
The other night, my group played a little preview 4e game, with the players using the DDXP pregens and me running the monsters I had data for (mostly kobolds and some human guards and bandits).

I noticed something weird -- some monsters have a Reflex higher than their AC. How does that work? How can it be easier to evade a beam of magical power than to dodge an arrow?

I mean, maybe it's not that big a deal, but -- do you think that's intentional, or an oversight, or even just a typo?

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Ehh isn't that odd when you think about it a arrow is quick, silent and hard to spot. A wizard casting a spell is loud, noticeable and takes time.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
3E introduced Fort, Reflex, and Will. In that game certain classes and monsters got bonuses to certain saves. I imagine that in 4e certain classes and monsters get bonuses to certain defenses.

Ximenes088

First Post
Keenath said:
I noticed something weird -- some monsters have a Reflex higher than their AC. How does that work? How can it be easier to evade a beam of magical power than to dodge an arrow?

I mean, maybe it's not that big a deal, but -- do you think that's intentional, or an oversight, or even just a typo?
In an X-second combat round, the fighter is making, say, 8 actual swings of his weapon. The rogue is lining up one perfect Deft Strike, and the wizard is shooting one magic missile. A high-Reflex enemy might do fine at dodging those singular, aimed attacks, but crowd him in with a flurry and he's got no choice but to start blocking and parrying. That's not the only way to justify it, but it works for me.

Surgoshan

First Post
Perhaps the beam of magical energy moves fairly slowly, while he doesn't actually dodge the arrow, but instead it lodges harmlessly in his shield.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Keenath said:
The other night, my group played a little preview 4e game, with the players using the DDXP pregens and me running the monsters I had data for (mostly kobolds and some human guards and bandits).

Armor Class is physically withstanding a weapon's blow, whereas Reflex is the ability to dodge an attack.

DandD

First Post
Not necessarily, as we see by the Charm-Kiss-Attack. To hit, you have to bypass Armour Class-Defense, and then, for the ability to work, you have to bypass Will-Defense. You probably still have to try to find the non-protected parts of your target.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Moniker said:
Armor Class is physically withstanding a weapon's blow, whereas Reflex is the ability to dodge an attack.

Although for 4e no blows really land until the killing blow. Hits are just misses that wind you.

DandD

First Post
In most cases, if you want to. They can still be hits that did hit you, but weren't effective enough to disable you or hinder you in any way. It's abstract, and always will be. At least, it's intended to be always abstract.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads