• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does 1d12+5 for ability scores work OK?

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
I’m sure this has probably come up before but has anyone tried 1d12 +5 for rolling Ability Scores?

What is the downside of this?

It results in a lower average score (11.5) than either 4d6 drop lowest (12.24) or standard array (12), so characters created with this method will be generally lower powered than those created with the default method. Point buy, on the other hand, can result in arrays with an average score ranging from 12.5 to 11.5, so while your method falls within that range, it’s on the lower end.

Also, as others have pointed out, it increases the frequency of extreme scores because it results in a linear distribution. That isn’t a bad thing in itself, but if your goal is to emulate the default method while allowing for a higher chance of extreme scores, I think 2d6 + 5 is your best bet.

CTurbo

Explorer
I'm always up for trying new stat methods. I've done 2d6+6 before and it works out ok. Certainly better than 3d6 but not as good as 4d6 drop lowest. I've even done 3d6+6 drop lowest.

2d6+5 would be ok, but if you're wanting to hard cap starting stats at 17, it's not hard. I've done 4d6 drop lowest with rerolling 18s and anything under 6. I've allowed regular 4d6 drop lowest but put a hard cap on starting higher than an 18 so even if you roll an 18, you can't put a racial bonus there. I've also done 16 + 3d6 x5 with a hard cap of 16 starting out. I do this to promote less common race/class combos.

I've also done point buy +1 and made up random arrays usually with at least a 16.

But whatever method I use, anybody at the table can use anybody's rolls. This almost always keeps the playing field relatively even which is more important to me than whether or not the players get high stats.

Usually, with the people I play with mostly, if somebody rolls TOO good, they throw it out and reroll. If they roll REALLY poorly, I will let them roll 4d6 two more times and use the highest 6 out of 8. This both happened recently when one player rolled 17, 17, 16, 16 and two other numbers higher than 12. She redid it. Another player at the same table rolled a 12 and then 5 numbers under 10 so when they rolled two more, they were like 15 and 16 or something. The rolled array the group ended up going with was only barely better than point buy.

The last time I was a player, that DM made us all roll 4d6 drop lowest twice and choose, but there were no rerolls or redos period. That guy REALLY believes in the random.

Roadkill101

Explorer
I use 1d6+10 for stat score generation, a result of 6 indicates a reroll to determine a score of 16, 17 or 18. PC's never get a score over 18 without outside influences from within the game world. I use ability scores to resolve any actions or saves (roll the score or less if required). The somewhat higher scores are to give PC's a slight overall advantage, as from my perspective PC's are "heroic" thus they get to have slightly better odds at succeeding without being game breaking. Homebrew modifications aside (I know longer run anything resembling a "RAW" game, playing is another issue), I can see no glaring problems (big ones anyway) to using the questioned score generation method for most official iterations of the game.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
The last time I was a player, that DM made us all roll 4d6 drop lowest twice and choose, but there were no rerolls or redos period. That guy REALLY believes in the random.

That's similar to how I do it, with a single change: if neither array you rolled has a total modifier of at least +4, then you reroll both. I like a little bit "larger than life" games, at least with 5e; my campaigns are always sandboxes, so a little more hardiness is useful in case the characters decide to wander into an area with something above their weight limit, as it were. Currently, they're wandering into an area called The Dragon Hills, which contains, oddly enough, a lot of dragons, including two warring clans of dragons.

Remove ads