• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Does 5E have to be available as a PDF for you to consider buying it?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
If it is available in PDF format as well as print, WotC will get two sales from me. I don't have a problem paying extra for the added utility of having both formats in my library.

Lord Vangarel

First Post
If it is available in PDF format as well as print, WotC will get two sales from me. I don't have a problem paying extra for the added utility of having both formats in my library.

Totally agree with this at least as far as the traditional three core books are concerned. After that I'm likely to just go down the pdf route as limited shelf space.

I'll buy one print PHB no matter what. If it's good, I'd prefer to buy the rest as a combination of print, PDF or electronic, and DDI style compendium. I loved that thing especially with the character generator. I would probably have multiple copies purchased if they were all available.

Lord Vangarel

First Post
I'll buy one print PHB no matter what. If it's good, I'd prefer to buy the rest as a combination of print, PDF or electronic, and DDI style compendium. I loved that thing especially with the character generator. I would probably have multiple copies purchased if they were all available.

Ok, so it looks like a few of us are in general agreement here. With dndclassics.com I believe WotC have a good chance of supporting pdf's for 5E, what I'd like to see sooner rather than later is Mike using his Legends and Lore column to tell us some of the distinct plans they have for the release rather than talking about bits of the rules so much. For example are there going to be the traditional 3 core rulebooks, is there going to be a starter set, are pdf's going to be for sale? I think we're getting close enough to the actual release for them to start telling us some of this stuff now.

Cybit

First Post
I'll want the hardcover books, but I would love the option of PDF. I think they should (and think they will) do both, and those who buy the hardcover books should be given a code to get the PDFs, IMO. Tie it to the dndclassics acct and have at it.

I just like books moreso than PDFs personally. But both should be available.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I am hoping the PDF version is offered, since it's likely the only version I'm interested in.

It seems very strange to write that, since I have a copy of every edition back to the white box.

But this edition is not aimed at me, and is more likely something that I'll end up playing than running, and to be honest, I doubt I'll end up referencing the actual books very much... especially the DMG. What are they going to put in this edition that's really different from the last?

So yes, it's PDF for me, or ... 13th Age.

MasterTrancer

Explorer
R: Does 5E have to be available as a PDF for you to consider buying it?

Ok, so it looks like a few of us are in general agreement here. With dndclassics.com I believe WotC have a good chance of supporting pdf's for 5E, what I'd like to see sooner rather than later is Mike using his Legends and Lore column to tell us some of the distinct plans they have for the release rather than talking about bits of the rules so much. For example are there going to be the traditional 3 core rulebooks, is there going to be a starter set, are pdf's going to be for sale? I think we're getting close enough to the actual release for them to start telling us some of this stuff now.

Tier-targeted releases, a la BECMI?

Remove ads