D&D 5E Does a D&D Videogame have to be turn-based?

Should the next D&D videogame use a turn-based mechanic?

• Yes. Turn-based FTW!

Votes: 47 67.1%
  • No. I don't want turns in my videogames.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Other; I will explain in the comments.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I am not a number! I am free man! Your polls do not constrain me!

Votes: 9 12.9%

• Poll closed .

alienux

Explorer
I'll admit, I didn't read through all 5 pages of responses, so if this was mentioned, I apologize.

I think a D&D video game should be turn-based to keep the spirit of the game.

However, I don't think a D&D themed video game necessarily has to be turn-based.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Not that it will ever happen, but a tile-based strategy-rpg based off of 4e would basically be the best possible thing one could do with that system.

I'm agnostic when it comes to turn-based vs non-turn-based. The first Baldur's Gate did, I think, the best job of bridging the gap between real-time and "Behind-the-scenes" turn-based. The second game amped up the stakes while simultaneously slowing down the combat, to its detriment, IMO.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
To properly capture the D&D experience, a D&D video game MUST be turn-based. It MUST ALSO require you to do all the math yourself. Using paper and pencil. Plus it MUST have no graphics or sounds, requiring you to imagine everything in your head. Plus, to really count as D&D and not some cynical exploitation of our favorite IP, the video game MUST be multi-player only, with really good DM support, integrated VOIP and streaming video of the other players so you can see their facial expressions. Anything less and you're not playing "REAL" D&D, just some lame knock-off.

Remove ads