• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does a shield work with Bracers of Armor?

Marimmar

First Post
Shields not stacking with force armor is a nice ruling. I love everything that reduces the wizard's armor class. The argumentation is a bit weak but since it's official... :)

~Marimmar

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Mage Armor Spell says it stacks

So in the spell description it advises that Unlike mundane armor, mage armor entails no armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, or speed reduction. there Mage Armor spell is the same as armor except no armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, or speed reduction.

This means you treat Mage Armor as phsyical armor and it stacks with a shield.

I'm not sure how you get from one to the other.

If I say "Unlike cats, dogs like to swim, thus dogs receive no penalty on their swim check"... this doesn't automatically imply that dogs are exactly like cats in every other respect...

The spell description tells you an important way in which Mage Armor differs from a chain shirt or breastplate.

We're specifically told that bonuses from armor and a shield stack, under the section describing Armor (padded through full plate) and shields (buckler through tower) - but that since "this" is an armor bonus, it does not stack with Mage Armor or Bracers of Armor.

"This" is describing the "Armor Bonus" column of table 7-5, which covers Armor and Shields... which means that any Armor Bonus on table 7-5 doesn't stack with Mage Armor.

-Hyp.

Artoomis

First Post
Staldin*Freefall said:
Geez, why couldn't Shields just have a Shield bonus and leave it at that?

Because a shield is not supposed to stack with armor bonuses.

With the exception, of course, of real, physical armor.

Remove ads